Highway Technician-Peru Unit - #100036
State of Indiana
Date: 04/19/2022 16:30 PM
City: Peru, Indiana
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
Work for Indiana
Grow your career with the State of Indiana! With more than 50 executive branch agencies, the State of Indiana is a diverse workforce offering employees stimulating and challenging projects across a broad scope of career opportunities. As a State of Indiana employee, you impact the well-being of Indiana’s communities every day.
At the State of Indiana, we don’t just talk about diversity and inclusion – Our goal is to create a welcoming, accessible, and equitable workplace, with a workforce that is representative of the State of Indiana population. As a proud equal opportunity employer, reasonable accommodations may be available to enable individuals with disabilities to interview and to perform the essential functions of a role.
Next Level benefits at the State of Indiana are here! Be sure to review our expanded benefit package offerings below.
About the Job:
This position is responsible for the coordination of work crews performing general highway maintenance duties that keep INDOT assets in good working condition to ensure customer satisfaction. The Crew Leader provides direction to staff for standard day to day operations and coordinates with the Unit Foreman. Crew Leaders are also responsible to perform snow and ice removal and related maintenance duties by operation of snow plow and other winter operations duties as required. Traffic maintenance duties such as repairing and installing traffic signs and pavement markings are also required job duties for this position.
A Day in the Life:
The essential elements of the job duties:
- Complies with INDOT Safety Policy and Procedures;
- Coordinates work assigned by Unit Foreman ensuring that the needed materials and equipment are available;
- Ensures staff are completing work assignments as directed and reports problems to Unit Foreman;
- Ensures work conforms to appropriate procedures and policies;
- Provides feedback to Unit Foreman for performance management purposes;
- Communicates employee issues to Unit Foreman providing documentation as necessary;
- Operates basic highway maintenance and traffic equipment to maintain, repair and clean highways and right-of-ways;
- Moves and loads supplies and materials;
- Completes Winter Operations duties including snow and ice removal;
- Maintains, repairs and installs traffic signs, route markers, and pavement markings;
- Performs emergency response activities such as: clean-up, traffic control, lane closures, placement of signs, and erecting barricades;
- Performs equipment maintenance such as: minor repairs, preventative maintenance, refueling, and pre-trip inspections;
- Performs miscellaneous labor tasks;
- Performs job documentation tasks such as entry into the Work Management System (WMS);
- Provide assistance to public by responding to general inquiries, explaining delays, etc.; and,
- Performs other related job duties as assigned.
The job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time.
What You'll Need for Success:
This person must have the following requirements to be considered for employment:
- High School Diploma or High School Equivalent (HSE).
- Must have valid commercial driver’s license (CDL) Class B, or ability to obtain within 90 days.
- Pass and submit to a drug test as a condition of employment.
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local highway guidelines, laws and regulations, principles, and practices for purposes of construction inspection, testing, maintenance, and repair of highway.
- Knowledge of drafting and surveying techniques.
- Ability to independently lead and coordinate the work of a crew in the field.
- Ability to read, interpret and follow technical documents.
- Must be able to endure exposure to inclement weather.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds.
- Ability to perform physical activities such as lifting, dragging, stooping, standing, and walking for long periods of time.
May need additional requirements depending on the assigned specialty:
- Ability to read, interpret and follow technical documents such as AASHTO, ASTM, INDOT specifications, and Indiana Test Methods (ITM).
- Ability to pass the INDOT Certified Testing Technician program.
- Ability to pass the INDOT Certified Inspector program.
- Ability to demonstrate proficiency by passing the Office’s Proficiency Exams. These exams are: Classification & Atterberg Proficiency Test, Electrochemical Proficiency Test, Strength & Proctor Proficiency Test, Resilient Modulus Proficiency Test.
Supervisory Responsibilities/Direct Reports:
This role provides direct supervision for one or more staff members.
Benefits of Employment with the State of Indiana:
The State of Indiana offers a comprehensive benefit package for full-time employees which includes:
- Three (3) medical plan options (including RX coverage) as well as vision and dental plans;
- Wellness program (offers premium discount for the medical plan and gift cards);
- Health savings account, which includes bi-weekly state contribution;
- Flexible work scheduling options, including the potential for hybrid remote work for employees whose work may be performed outside state facilities;
- Deferred compensation 457B account (similar to 401k plan) with employer match;
- Two (2) fully-funded pension plan options;
- A robust, comprehensive program of leave policies covering a variety of employee needs, including but not limited to:
- 150 hours of paid new parent leave;
- Up to 15 hours of paid community service leave;
- Combined 180 hours of paid vacation, personal, and sick leave time off;
- 12 paid holidays, 14 on election years;
- Education Reimbursement Program;
- Group life insurance;
- Referral Bonus program;
- Employee assistance program that allows for covered behavioral health visits;
- Qualified employer for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program;
- Free Parking for most positions;
- Free LinkedIn Learning access;
Equal Employment Opportunity:
The State of Indiana is an Equal Opportunity Employer
This job is expired. Please use the search form to find active jobs or submit your resume.