General Manager of McConn Coffee - #100231
Indiana Wesleyan University
Date: 04/19/2022 19:30 PM
City: Marion, Indiana
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
Work type: Administrative, Full-Time
Location: Marion, IN
Job Title: General Manager of McConn Coffee
Reporting Relationship: Vice President of IWU-Marion Operations
Department: IWU-Marion Operations - McConn Coffee
Campus Location: Barnes Student Center
Summary of Position:
The General Manager of McConn is charged with overseeing all functions and personnel associated with McConn Coffee at IWU, which includes the sales of beverages, pastries, catering, and general merchandise. This position prepares and executes an annual operating budget of nearly $400,000. A key responsibility of the General Manage is to create a welcoming environment in the McConn area that serves as a central gathering point for students, guests, and employees throughout the year. The welcoming environment builds on a culture that promotes community centered around a table and cup of coffee. It is a distinct part of the campus experience that so many have grown to expect from the Marion campus.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversight of point-of-sales systems and the McConn website that facilitates face-to-face and online transactions
- Product and equipment purchasing, product development, hiring and training procedures, business operations and budgeting, financial forecasting, marketing, and programming
- Hire, terminate (when necessary), train, and supervise the coffeehouse student staff of interns and baristas
- Mentor student team leaders through experiential learning in the disciplines of marketing, human resources, purchasing, accounting and business development. This includes the development of an annual coffeehouse business plan.
- Partner with IWU's Conference & Event Services and Admissions to ensure the coffeehouse is prepared for special events, including but not limited to: Summer Conferences, New Student Registration, New Student Orientation, and Homecoming
- Develop and implement health, safety, and hygiene policies and practices that meet regulatory requirements
- Product development and training
- Design and support McConn services for special programs and student activities
- Build and develop relationships / partnerships with vendors / suppliers
- Lead and oversee negotiations and procurement for nearly $260,000 in supplies and materials annually
- Build strategies that leverage industry trends as well as efficiency opportunities
- Serve on the VP for Operations leadership team
- Meet regularly with the VP for Operations to review McConn performance and activities
- This position supervises and directs a coffeehouse staff of approximately 50 student workers and 5 student interns
Qualifications: According to Indiana Wesleyan University employment policy all employees must possess a strong Christian commitment and adhere to the standards outlined in the IWU Community Lifestyle Statement.
- Bachelor's Degree in business / or related field required; Master's Degree preferred
- Three (3) to five (5) years in the food services industry or related industry with management experience preferred
- Coffeehouse retail experience, working with college student groups
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with individuals from diverse communities and cultures
- Areas of understanding / skills include but not limited to: human resources, accounting, purchasing, marketing, food service operations, retails service industry, business management, training and development, and product research
LIMITATIONS AND DISCLAIMER
As a religious educational institution operating under the auspices of The Wesleyan Church, Indiana Wesleyan University is permitted and reserves the right to prefer employees on the basis of religion (42 U.S.C., Sections 2000e-1 and 2000e-2).
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position. Employees will be required to follow other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor in compliance with Federal and State Laws.
This job is expired. Please use the search form to find active jobs or submit your resume.