Director of Communications and Administrative Support - #100526
Decatur Independent School District
Date: 04/19/2022 23:30 PM
City: Decatur, Texas
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
Position available for 2022-2023 School Year:
Promote positive public relations between the school district and community. Prepare and provide information to the public about the activities, goals, and policies of the school district. Distribute pertinent information about the district and its activities to employees. Provide support and training to administrators and other support staff.
Bachelor’s degree in Education, English, journalism, communications, or related field
Master’s degree in related field preferred
Excellent public relations, organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
Ability to speak effectively before groups of employees, parents, or the public
Ability to communicate effectively in both written and oral forms with all levels of management, both internal and external to the district
Thorough knowledge of media relations and public relations functions
Ability to use software to develop spreadsheets, perform data analysis, and do word processing
5 years of experience in school administration and/or school district communications
Public and Community Relations
1. Serve as the information liaison between the school district and the community. Serve as district spokesperson and coordinate media coverage including preparing press releases and publishing articles and photos in local media and other publications.
2. Ensure that public information activities contribute to the attainment of district goals and objectives.
3. Design, prepare, and edit district publications including newsletters, recruitment brochures, programs for special events, and other publications.
4. Serve as district representative on community committees as required. Demonstrate awareness of district-community needs and initiate activities to meet those needs including speaking at civic organization meetings and make presentations.
5. Manage and maintain social media accounts and district website.
6. Assist with emergency management procedures and crisis communication.
7. Demonstrate a solid understanding of social media initiatives and apply to district endeavors.
8. Oversee the district phone call-out system, including training of staff.
9. Demonstrate the use of appropriate and effective techniques for community and parent involvement.
10. Assist with planning, preparation, and onsite coordination of special events; such as Convocation, Employee Recognition
Banquet, and community parades.
11. Assist with School Bond elections
12. Manages all of the fundraising, marketing, communications, and administration of the Decatur ISD Education Foundation and serves as the Executive Director of the DISD Education Foundation Board
13. Serves as the Public Information Officer for the district, directing the response to all Freedom of Information Act requests.
14. Conference regularly with assigned staff to discuss performance; jointly develop improvement objectives to identify professional growth opportunities.
15. Provide training as appropriate for district employees as well as operating partners.
16. Guide and develop principals and other administrative and support staff to provide learning environments that enable every student to achieve.
Policies, Reports, and Law
17. Develop and publicize reports related to the performance of the district and articulate district goals and objectives.
18. Comply with policies established by federal and state law, State Board of Education rule, and local board policy.
19. Compile, maintain, and file all reports, records, and other documents as required.
20. Follow district safety protocols and emergency procedures.
21. Develop and administer the department budget based on documented needs and ensure that operations are cost effective and funds are managed wisely.
22. Select, train, supervise, and evaluate staff and make recommendations relative to assignment, retention, discipline, and dismissal.
23. Develop training options and/or improvement plans to ensure exemplary operation of the communications function.
This job is expired. Please use the search form to find active jobs or submit your resume.