PC Computer Operations Support Tech - #196299
Swedish Hospital, Part of NorthShore
Date: 06/08/2022 04:00 AM
City: Chicago, Illinois
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
Provide front line hospital information system and personal computer systems support via the telephone and, as necessary, at user site ensuring timely response to the user community needs and support requirements. Perform operations and maintenance for the hospital information systems and its facilities. Provide technical set up, installation, support, and maintenance of PC’s user specific applications and Meditech in the LAN/WAN environment.
The major challenges of this position are providing accurate support to users with a variety of systems skills, solving multiple software and hardware problems and maintaining the momentum and organization of simultaneous related and unrelated projects and tasks.
Essential Job Functions
1. Perform operations schedule for assigned shift, including:
- Generating and/or distributing computer reports according to assigned shift procedure documentation.
- Performing printer and hardware preventative maintenance.
- Maintaining appropriate log books and Operations procedure documentation.
- Completing uncompleted operations duties from prior shift(s)
- Executes special print job requests
- Handles Help desk Break Fix issues on and off site
2 Provide quality systems support services for the institution, including:
- Providing courteous, prompt and accurate front line software and hardware support for both the main hospital information system and all hospital personal computer systems
- Function as technical liaison between Operations/IT Tech and the SCH user community.
- Troubleshoot software and hardware problems throughout the hospital as they occur and provide solutions and repairs in a timely manner.
- Initiate corrective action where required and within the scope of knowledge and authority for the hospital’s information systems.
- Maintains level of knowledge of hospital systems software necessary to effectively support the user community
- Monitor and update the departments call/project tracking system on a timely basis.
3. Act as a communication liaison between IS Tech/Operations support personnel and:
- Maintenance vendors during major equipment failures.
- System vendors during major software or hardware failures
- Affected members of the user community.
4. Set up and/or install new hardware as assigned:
- Hardware installation including post installation testing
- PC configuration including post installation testing.
- Software installation including post installation testing
5. Maintains expert knowledge of mid-range, mini, micro computers, networks, peripheral devices, communication systems
and personal computers, by:
- Reviewing manuals and documentation routinely.
6. General Departmental Responsibilities:
- Backup for other shifts during scheduled vacations, illnesses, and any unscheduled absences within the Operations and Tech Support roles
- Accepts on-call duty on rotational basis with Operations Supervisor and User Support Coordinator..
- Performs data entry activities as assigned by supervisors.
- Keeps the computer room and other work areas neat and orderly.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Technical Systems Manager, the Assistant Technical Systems Manager, or the Vice President of Information Systems.
Access to Protected Health Information
- Computer system access is assigned based on managers’ access level request and on the minimum necessary access as described in this job description. Approval for level of access is given by the system administrator, director or manager of the department that has ownership of system/module. See Computer system Access controls policy.
QUALIFICATION/BASIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
High School Diploma or GED required.
- Minimum of 2 years in system operations & help desk break fix front line repair. Requires experience in Meditech HIS
software, Microsoft's Operating Systems and PC Hardware and Software support.
- Must be a team player, work independently, and have expertise in the functionality of network, communication, personal computer and peripheral hardware operations.
- Must possess excellent analytical and troubleshooting skills. Strong verbal and written communications skills with expertise to write and maintain procedure manuals.
- Must be able to manage time effectively.
INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL CONTACTS
Ability to work independently and resourcefully, and communicate effectively with all levels of institution personnel.
- Primary body position at work is sitting.
- Frequent lifting, carrying or moving of information systems equipment or supplies under 50 lbs.
- Repetitive activities are; typing, phone use and viewing of video display devices.
- Exposure to noise from the HVAC and computer equipment in the computer room.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
High School or better
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)