Pharmacy Technician - #196474
Date: 06/08/2022 06:00 AM
City: Baytown, Texas
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
Houston Methodist Baytown Hospital
4401 Garth Rd
Baytown, TX 77521
Job Type: Full-Time
Posted Date: June 7, 2022
At Houston Methodist, the Pharmacy Technician position is responsible for completing a variety of routine pharmacy services related to medication acquisition which may include, but are not limited to: triaging phone calls, repackaging medications, dispensing medications, labeling medications, charging/crediting medications, compounding medications, and inventorying medications. This position ensures optimal patient safety and customer service.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 25%
- Promotes a positive work environment and contributes to a dynamic, team focused work unit that actively helps one another to achieve optimal department results. Collaborates with other health care professionals as needed for problem resolution and/or achievement of identified patient specific goals. (EF)
SERVICE - 20%
- Assists with optimizing the safety and efficiency of pharmacy operations and to support the workflow needs of the pharmacy department. (EF)
- Contributes in departmental efforts to resolve drug related problems and maximizing patient care. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 40%
- Performs efficient and safe medication distribution functions such as, but not limited to: telephone triage, repackaging of medications, labeling medications, charge/credit of medications, compounding medications, and inventory of medications. (EF)
- Provides support to the workflow and reports any problems to the appropriate parties. Accurately documents and completes paperwork for the assigned role/function. (EF)
- Reports “near misses” and inputs errors promptly into PSN to improve processes and identify trends. Contributes to identification of corrective actions and improvement activities, and to meeting departmental and hospital targets for quality and safety. (EF)
FINANCE - 10%
- Uses resources efficiently; does not waste supplies. Recommends solutions in achieving departmental objectives.
- Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize daily tasks. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 5%
- Participates in departmental projects activities, and seeks opportunities to expand learning beyond baseline competencies with a focus on continual development as a Pharmacy Technician.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o High School diploma or equivalent education (examples include: GED, verification of homeschool equivalency, partial or full completion of post-secondary education, etc.)
o Two years of college preferred
o Zero experience; one year of Pharmacy Technician experience applicable to the specific work setting (e.g., hospital, specialty pharmacy) highly preferred
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
o Texas Pharmacy Technician Registration or Pharmacist Intern Licensure
o Completion of the 40 hours Sterile Compounding and Aseptic course from an Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE) approved training program within 90 days of employment (if applicable to assigned work area)*
o ACPE approved IV certification within 90 days of employment (if applicable to assigned work area)*
- See manager for details and tracking certification information
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
o Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
o Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
o Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
o Proficient in performing accurate calculations required for usual dosage determinations
o Possesses proficient computer knowledge; operates multiple computer systems to include, hospital/pharmacy related software, drug preparation pumps/devices, packaging and labeling machines, automated drug dispensing equipment, prescription balances, and portable data processing units
o Exhibits strong interpersonal and team player skills with all levels of the healthcare team and assures delivery of excellent customer service to all patients, visitors, physicians and co-workers
Work Attire Yes/No
Business professional No
Other (dept approved) No
Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (ie. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of selection above.
May require travel within No
Houston Metropolitan area
May require travel outside No
of Houston Metropolitan area
**Travel specifications may vary by department
Please note any other special considerations to this job: All pharmacy staff are required to be trained on the risks and safe handling of hazardous drugs; and confirm in writing an understanding of the potential reproductive risks associated with handling hazardous drugs
Houston Methodist Baytown Hospital, located 35 miles southeast of Houston, is the area's only full-service hospital offering specialized medical care for patients at every stage in life. Houston Methodist Baytown houses 224 operating beds, with 10 operating rooms, and over 1,700 employees, brings Medical Center excellence and quality care close to East Harris and surrounding counties.