1-Year Visiting Director of Choral Activities - #196540
Date: 06/08/2022 06:30 AM
City: Houghton, New York
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
POSITION IMPACT DESCRIPTION TEMPLATE
Statement of Mission:
College Mission Statement: Houghton College provides an academically challenging, Christ-
centered education in the liberal arts and sciences to students from diverse traditions and
economic backgrounds and equips them to lead and labor as scholar-servants in a changing
Greatbatch School of Music Mission Statement: Within a Christ-centered, challenging, liberal arts
education, the Greatbatch School of Music, Houghton College endeavors to produce graduates
who, through commitment to musical excellence and to intelligent articulation of the integration
of faith and music in their lives, can be effective musical practitioners and advocates in the
Christian community and in the broader world.
Position Title: 1-Year Visiting Director of Choral Activities
Description of Mission Impact:
The Houghton College Choir is one of our three, large, outward-facing ensembles at the
Greatbatch School of Music. The director plays a significant role in shaping the practical
educational experience of the ensemble members—training them in musicianship skills and
preparing them to of the perform musically excellent concerts. The director/conductor, along
with the graduate assistants, is responsible for creating a positive learning environment,
coordinating pre-concert devotions, and helping students build deeper connections between
their faith and their role as performers.
The Director of Choral Activities reports directly to the Dean of the Greatbatch School of Music,
maintains a collegial working role with the faculty, and serves in a supervisory relationship with
assigned graduate assistants.
- Serve as the conductor and director of the Houghton College Choir and Men’s and
concerts each year
- Assist with coordination of the Christmas PRISM concert
- Lead multiple weekly rehearsals
- Administer the choral program
- Oversee assigned graduate assistants
- Assist in the recruitment of prospective students and on-campus musicians including
- Do all grading, pedagogical, and administrative work relevant to leading the ensemble as
- Teach Applied Conducting lessons
- Teach our Advanced Conducting, Advanced Choral Conducting Seminar, and other
- Increase the profile of Houghton by participating in local, regional, and national choral
- Participate fully in artistic planning sessions with music faculty so that choral activities
The ideal candidate will have strong skills in leadership, musicianship, and pedagogy. In addition,
a successful track record of programming and conducting choral concerts and a thorough
knowledge of choral repertoire is needed, along with an understanding of some guiding
principles about integrating aspects of faith into an ensemble learning environment.
Statement of Requirements:
- Masters Degree required – Doctorate preferred
- Choral conducting experience
- Exemplary musicianship and strong pedagogical skills
- Evidence of successful performances and leadership of a large ensemble
- Ability to work independently and coordinate work with others
- Ability to work well with both internal and external constituencies
- Problem-solving and decision-making ability
- Good verbal and written communication skills
Visit https://www.houghton.edu/employment/faculty-openings/ and follow the PROCEDURE
FOR APPLICANTS. Candidates who meet these qualifications will be required to submit a recent
teaching sample video if they are being considered for an interview. The committee will provide
specific instructions for submitting videos to qualifying candidates later in the process.
For questions related to this position, please contact David Clem, Dean of the Greatbatch School
of Music, Professor of Music History: email@example.com
Founded in 1883, Houghton College is a Christian liberal arts college in the Wesleyan tradition
with an overall student body representing 40 states and Canadian provinces and 25 foreign
countries. US News & World Report’s “America’s Best Colleges” Guide has ranked Houghton
among the Tier 1 National Liberal Arts institutions. Additional information on Houghton College
can be found at: www.houghton.edu.
Houghton College is fully committed to a culturally diverse faculty, staff and student body.
Successful candidates will evidence similar commitments.