SPECIAL EDUCATION TUTORS for the 2022/2023 school year - #196681
Danbury Public Schools
Date: 06/08/2022 07:30 AM
City: Danbury, Connecticut
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
- Work with individual students or small groups of students under the supervision of a certified teacher to reinforce learning of materials or skills initially introduced by the teacher.
- Collect data on student progress.
- Evidence of the ability to work cooperatively with staff.
- Assist the teacher in the handling, operation and care of equipment, used in the classroom, including media, and instructional materials.
- Assist with the supervision of students during emergency drills, assemblies, play periods, field trips and in other non-classroom activities.
- Check notebooks, correct papers and supervise testing and make-up work, as assigned by the teacher.
- Assist the teacher with non-instructional duties, such as snack, toilet and clothing routines.
- Serve as the chief source of information and help to any substitute teacher assigned in the absence of the regular teacher.
- Assist the teacher in drill work, large group reading or storytelling.
- Alert the regular teacher regarding any problem or special information related to an individual student.
- Help students master equipment or instructional materials assigned by teacher.
- Guide independent study, enrichment work and remedial work set and assigned by the teacher.
- Distribute and collect workbooks, papers, and other materials for instruction.
- Assist in providing a well-organized, smoothly functioning school environment.
- Help students complete research and learning projects.
- Talks to and attempts to calm student(s) who are distressed.
- Attend inclusion classes with special education students and assist in implementing alternative instructional strategies.
- Assist with implementation of inclusion plans for students.
- Assist in maintaining an environment conducive to learning as requested by the teacher.
- Assist with discipline and other classroom duties as requested by the teacher.
- Assist the teacher in supervising students on arrival to or departure from school and all transitional times.
- Assist in monitoring students during eating periods.
- Assist with playground supervision, as needed.
- Assist in hall and stairway supervision.
- Escort students to other rooms/locations as required.
- Willingness to serve as a bus monitor.
- Maintain the same high level of ethnical behavior and sensitivity of information about students as is expected of a certified teacher or assistant teacher.
- Attend staff development workshops to enhance instructional delivery to children.
- Participate in in-service training programs, as assigned.
- May work with special needs student(s) to assist with daily living needs, such as feeding and bathroom accommodations.
- Assist in other related duties that may be assigned by the teacher.
- Assist in one or more of the following services required for assigned students as directed:
- Therapeutic feeding
- Diaper changing
- Self-help skills
- Muscle tone exercises
- Colostomy care
- Embarkation/debarkation of buses including lifting of students when necessary.
- Perform related duties as appropriate for the position as assigned by the appropriate administrator/supervisor.
- High School Diploma is required
- Must meet NCLB Para compliance requirements, as applicable.
- Must possess or be willing to acquire the skills necessary to support needs associated with autism, ABA, behavioral needs, as well as activities of daily living such as feeding.
- Experience/training in working with children.
- Such additions and alternatives to the above qualifications as may be appropriate and acceptable.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions effectively.
- Exhibits good judgment, patience, tact and courtesy.
- Physical condition commensurate with the demands of, at a minimum, the essential function of the position.
Student Support Services (Non-certified)/Tutor
The job of Special Education Tutor was established for the purpose/s of providing support to the instructional program within assigned school with specific responsibility for assisting in the supervision and instruction of special needs students, severely special needs students; observing and documenting student progress; implementing plans for instruction; and assisting students by providing for special health care needs
SKILLS, ABILITIES & QUALIFICATIONS:
Please go on-line at www.danbury.k12.ct.us job listings