Assistant: Educational Assistant - #196699
North Santiam School District
Date: 06/08/2022 07:30 AM
City: Stayton, Oregon
Salary: $1,462 - $1,824 / hour
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
- Completed at least two years of study at an institution of higher education
- Obtain an Associate’s Degree or higher; or
- Demonstrate, through a formal state or local academic assessment, the knowledge of and ability to assist in the instruction of reading, writing, and mathematics or the instruction in readiness for these subjects. Paraprofessionals qualifying under this criterion must have a high school diploma or equivalent as a prerequisite.
- High School Diploma or equivalent as required by OAR 581-37-030, Oregon Department of Education
- 18 years of age or older
- Ability to work harmoniously with others and to communicate effectively (both orally and in writing) with students and staff
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to supervise individual or groups of students in an instructional setting without constant teacher oversight; work in a team situation
- Ability to work effectively in an environment that can be both physically and emotionally fatiguing; perform physically demanding requirements of the job
- Possess knowledge of English usage, mathematics, and a basic understanding of the subjects in which this position is to provide assistance
- Ability to type accurately; operate standard office equipment such as a computer, copier, and word processor; and operate audio-visual equipment
- Ability to work with students who may exhibit aggressive behavior, as required of specific job assignment
- Perform physical requirements which may include:
- Ability to demonstrate standards of moral character and behavior to serve as an effective role model for students
- Such alternative to the above requirements as the School Board or the Administration may deem appropriate and acceptable
- Assist the teacher in devising special strategies of reinforcing material or skills based on a sympathetic understanding of individual students, their needs, interests, and abilities.
- Assist in the instruction of students in group or one-on-one settings, often without direct teacher supervision.
- Ability to have techniques and methods of student supervision and classroom management, in varied settings and some involving moderate to severe learning and physical disabilities and social/behavioral problems.
- Ability to maintain a high level of ethical behavior and confidentiality of information about students and staff according to trained procedures.
- Assist in monitoring classroom management in accordance with the district’s discipline procedures.
- Supervise students in and outside of the classroom with an understanding of and provision for a safe environment.
- Perform various clerical functions in student record keeping, monitor assignments, maintain accurate files, and other related functions.
- Assists with the supervision of students during emergency drills, assemblies and play periods.
- Assist with large group activities as drill work, reading aloud, and storytelling.
- Read to students, listen to students read, and participate in other forms of oral communication with students.
- Check notebooks, correct papers, and supervise testing and makeup work as assigned by the teacher.
- Handle discipline problems in accordance with the district’s discipline procedures.
- Alert the teacher to any problem or special information about an individual student.
- Serve as a source of information and support to any substitute teacher assigned in the absence of the regular teacher.
- Participate in in-service programs as assigned.
- Act as a friendly ambassador for the North Santiam School District.
- Perform such other tasks (which may require knowledge of other job descriptions) as may seem to be appropriate to the Board or Administration.
- Possess and maintain a valid First Aid card as required
- Criminal Justice Fingerprint Clearance
- Blood borne Pathogen Training/ Hepatitis B Shot Series Training as required
Stayton Elementary School - Stayton, OR
POSITION TYPE: Classified
START DATE: August 24, 2022
WORK DAYS: 185
PAY: $14.62 - 18.24/hour, depending upon prior experience
North Santiam is a PBIS District
Positive Behavior Intervention Supports (PBIS) focuses efforts on creating an environment that supports the educational environment. PBIS schools use school-wide and classroom positive reinforcement to promote expected behavior, teach behavioral expectations like academic skills, and use the data-based information to guide intervention and management
This position is subject to a funded budget based on staffing needs. Specific assignment is subject to change.
Under direct supervision of a licensed teacher or administrator, performs a variety of tasks; assisting the teacher in the development of an instructional program by working with students individually or in small/ large groups, preparing instructional materials, assisting in the implementation of classroom discipline, and conducting planned activities using teacher designated methods and materials. Includes the supervision of students not only in the classroom but also out on the playground, in lunchrooms, crossing duty, etc. Perform a variety of general clerical duties. Positions assigned to the Educational Assistant classification are distinguished by the responsibility to provide, under teacher supervision, direct instruction to students and assist with the development of teaching materials in the regular education setting
At the time of hire, candidates must qualify by having met at least one of the following requirements:
To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to execute each requirement satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/ or ability needed for the position.
A. A moderate degree of physical stamina
B. Frequent standing, walking, bending and lifting
C. Possible exposure to bodily fluids in assisting students with using restrooms and in tending to injury and illness
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Assist teachers in the planning and implementation of learning experiences of students enrolled in programs; confer with the teacher to provide feedback on student performance, progress, and testing activities.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Subject to inside and outside environmental conditions with routine exposure to the weather including seasonal heat and cold. Subject to frequent loud noises in the environment
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS, BONDING AND/ OR TESTING REQUIRED: