Animal Care Assistant- Part Time - #196980
Progressive Animal Welfare Society
Date: 06/08/2022 09:30 AM
City: Nordland, Washington
Salary: $20 / hour
Contract type: Part Time
Work schedule: Full Day
A Northwest leader in protecting animals since 1967, the Progressive Animal Welfare Society (PAWS) shelters homeless animals, rehabilitates injured and orphaned wildlife, and empowers people to demonstrate compassion and respect for animals in their daily lives.
Position Title: Animal Care Assistant - 20 hours
Animal Care Manager
To provide for the comfort, health care and enrichment needs of animals at the shelter and to support the Animal Care Lead (ACL) in their daily tasks, under the direct supervision of the Animal Care Manager, with daily oversight provided by the Animal Care Lead and the Animal Care Manager.
- Cleans animal housing and treatment areas and provides food, care, and socialization for animals per written procedures.
- Processes incoming animals that are stray, transferred from other shelters, or surrendered by owners. This includes but is not limited to performing physical and behavioral assessments, entering information into the database, and setting up animals in appropriate kennels or cages.
- Administers vaccinations, immunizations and treatment for injuries or illness as prescribed by a veterinarian and provides general health care for animals as provided in written policies and procedures.
- Prepares areas and provides care for post-operative and pre-surgical animals per standard operating procedure (SOP).
Other responsibilities Include:
- Aids the ACL and Animal Care Manager with the evaluation of medical and behavioral needs of animals in the shelter by maintaining accurate records and status changes as required.
- Assists with the hands-on training of new and existing volunteers in safe animal handling and proper care methods designed to reduce the stress of the companion animals in PAWS care.
- Provides feedback and support to volunteers during daily operations. Aids volunteers in day-to-day performance of their duties.
- Identifies and addresses issues with volunteer training or performance; and works with the Animal Care Lead and Programs Manager on issues of performance failure and lack of compliance with PAWS SOPs and philosophy.
- Recommends volunteers for the ATV and DBV programs; and directs their daily tasks when ACL is not available.
- Update adoption restrictions and animal paperwork.
- Provides suggestions for the selection of cats for Cat City.
- Performs dog-to-dog introductions for adoptions and behavior evaluations; sets up dog buddy and dog play groups.
- May fill-in at Cat City or be assigned other duties by management as needed.
- May perform other related duties as assigned.
- Preference may be given to candidates with previous experience working with animals in a humane society, animal shelter or veterinary clinic.
- Capacity to work daily with companion animals and have a basic understanding of the needs and behavior of domestic cats and dogs.
- Handle individual animals in a caring, safe, and humane manner.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Work cooperatively with people and to communicate clearly about PAWS mission, the care and treatment of animals, and the safety of the public and other employees. Must be able to represent PAWS professionally at all times.
- Ability to be organized and flexible, and able to balance concurrent projects and adjust to rapid, changing needs.
- Proficient with Microsoft Word and Excel computer programs, already possess basic computer skills. Experience with Pet Point is highly desirable.
- Possess excellent interpersonal, organizational, written, and verbal communication skills and work effectively and respectfully with diverse groups of people and maintain high quality customer relations.
- Must exemplify the values of the organization in all interactions with coworkers and members of the public, including respect, trust, compassion, commitment, and kindness.
Controls over Work:
The Animal Care Assistant will work under the direct supervision of the Animal Care Manager and are expected to perform the established duties according to daily schedules.
Candidates must be able to lift a minimum of forty (40) pounds. Work is performed both in and out of the shelter or Cat City adoption center which requires lifting, bending, stooping, pushing and other moderately strenuous activities. Must be able to sit or stand for long periods of time, including working at a computer. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
Paid time off, 403(b) with Company contribution and match, paid holidays (pro-rata), Employee Assistance Program, pet supply discounts.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
PAWS is an equal opportunity employer. PAWS employment decisions are made based on merit and business needs. PAWS is committed to recruiting, hiring, training, and promoting qualified people of all backgrounds, regardless of actual or perceived race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. People of Color and Members of the LGBTQ+ community are strongly encouraged to apply.
All PAWS positions receive written performance evaluations after the first 90 days and annually thereafter.
Please submit a Cover Letter stating your qualifications and why you are interested in this position and your Resume
Only Complete Application Packets will receive consideration. Applications received by June 27, 2022, will receive priority.
Position Open Until Filled.
Note: Under the provisions of the Immigration and Reform Act of 1986, the successful candidate will be required to provide both evidence of identity and eligibility for employment.
All Offers of Employment are Conditional, based on successful completion of reference and background checks.