Site Civil Engineer, Full Time Intern (EIT) - #291710
Date: 06/11/2021 10:30 AM
City: Des Moines, Iowa
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
DLR Group is an integrated design firm. Our brand promise is the elevate the human experience through design. If that challenge is appealing, you're at the right place.
The Engineering team has an opening for a Civil Engineering Full-Time Intern (EIT)
- Omaha, NE
- Lincoln, NE
- Des Moines, IA
As a Civil Engineer, you will be responsible for developing creative, reliable, and economical civil designs for our diverse group of clients.
Our engineering team is integrated in the design process with our clients and works collaboratively with DLR Groups architecture and interiors teams on a variety of projects to produce civil engineering designs for commercial, educational, and municipal buildings of all sizes and complexities.
We are an employee-owned firm where everyone is empowered to use their design voice; this inspires our culture and fuels the passion for the work we do around the world. Bring your motivation and design experience and come join us in our mission to elevate the human experience through design!
The successful candidate will
- Collaborate with architects, other engineers, and clients as part of our integrated design process.
- Design, coordinate and prepare site development documents throughout project development on a wide variety of projects, including site layouts, horizontal and vertical control, grading and drainage, paving, site utilities and associated civil engineering components.
- Perform complex assignments, using best judgement in the evaluation, selection and implementation of engineering techniques.
- Independently perform civil calculations including code research.
- Prepare project reports and required jurisdictional permitting applications.
- Prepare project specifications and contract documents.
- Review shop drawings and other construction related correspondence.
- Conduct site visits when needed.
- Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering and successful completion of the FE Exam.
- 1 to 3 years of experience (including previous internships) with general site planning and civil engineering or other related civil engineering experience.
- Experience using current civil design software like Autodesk Civil 3D or AutoCAD
- Proficient with Microsoft Office.
- Goal oriented with strong skills in problem solving, creativity, and attention to detail.
- Ability and desire to become a licensed Professional Engineer (PE) as a Civil Engineer within 2 to 3 years.
- Passion for sustainable site design and low-impact development strategies.
- An appreciation and understanding of the integrated design process and a desire to work collaboratively with multiple disciplines.
- Understanding of storm water management requirements and hydrologic design.
- Inquisitive nature and desire to expand engineering knowledge.
- Strong communication skills, verbal and written.
- Knowledge of SketchUp or other rendering software for site plan presentations.
- Knowledge of ArcGIS Software.