Professional Services Veterinarian - MD - #291864
Trans Ova Genetics
Date: 06/11/2021 13:00 PM
City: Knoxville, Maryland
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
Reports to: Professional Services Manager
Position Purpose: Multiply the success of client breeding programs by producing embryos from their donor cows and pregnancies in their recipient cows. Ensure disease and trauma are minimized when embryos are harvested from donors and transferred into recipients. Monitor the general health and reproductive fertility in resident cows while contributing to a positive working environment, delivering services which exceed customer expectation.
- Flush and transfer bovine embryos in the clinic and on farms
- Perform ultrasound guided transvaginal ovum pickup procedures for bovine IVF embryo production.
- Review and design superovulation and synchronization protocols for donors and recipients.
- Evaluate pregnancy status in recipients post-implant using ultrasonography to:
- Evaluate the gender in embryo transfer and in-vitro fetuses.
- Evaluate the number and viability fetuses in cows implanted with clone or research embryos.
- Perform rectal palpations to evaluate reproductive status of incoming and backgrounded recipient cows.
- Monitor and implement the preventative medicine, nutrition, and reproductive programs and overall herd health of animals on the farms.
- Implement, monitor, and continue to improve the biosecurity programs on the farms.
- Monitor compliance of herd health and SOP documents relative to the export of bovine embryos.
- Perform tests and exams and complete paperwork for the interstate movement of animals.
- Examine and administer treatments to sick donor and recipient cows and calves.
- Perform special surgeries as necessary in joint and research projects (fetal removals, c-sections, etc.).
- Participate in an emergency/on-call weekend schedule on a rotational basis.
- Maintains a professional image reflective of Trans Ova s industry position.
- Follow Trans Ova s policies and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree or equivalent.
- Full current accreditation with the USDA – APHIS
- Licensure in necessary states or the ability to acquire a license.
- American Embryo Transfer Association certification.
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions:
- Ability to travel including occasional overnight stays with seasonal spikes (Apr-June, Nov-Dec).
- Ability to put in long days (up to 14 hours) during seasonal periods
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to remain on feet for long periods of time.
- Strong and reliable back, shoulder, arm, hand and ability to manipulate the bovine reproductive tract multiple times.
- Excellent hand coordination and finger sensation.
- Passion for bovine reproduction with a desire for continual learning and improvement.
- Strong sense for connecting with customers and identifying and fulfilling their needs.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- High degree of professionalism.
- Proficiency in computer skills including Excel, PowerPoint and Word.
- Valid driver s license and ability to operate a company vehicle.