Track Laborer - #291890
Date: 06/11/2021 13:01 PM
City: Salt Lake City, Utah
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
Job ID: 8573
The Track Laborer performs a variety of tasks involving physical labor to build, repair and maintain railroad track. Uses a variety of hand and power tools and other construction equipment. Works with a crew and reports to a Foreman. Must be able to work safely and as a team member.
- This position requires regular travel*
Examples of tools utilized include: Ballast, rails, spike mauls, tie tongs, rail tongs, rail forks, lining bars, shovels, jacks, spike mauls, spike drivers, claw bars, spike lifters, spike pullers, power wrenches, impact drills, and other welding material.
- Cleans and prepares construction work sites to eliminate possible hazards.
- Attaches rail, remove spikes, lift and handle railroad crossties.
- Reads and interprets plans, instructions, and specifications to determine work activities.
- Digs ditches or trenches, backfills excavations, and compacts and levels earth to grade specifications, using picks, shovels, pneumatic tampers, and rakes including tamping ballast.
- Positions, joins, aligns, and seals structural components.
- Measures, marks, and records openings and distances to lay out areas where construction work will be performed.
- Signals equipment operators to facilitate alignment, movement, and adjustment of machinery, equipment, and materials.
- Loads, unloads, and identifies building materials, machinery, and tools, and distributes them to the appropriate locations, according to project plans and specifications.
- Follows company and industry safety rules, practices and procedures.
- Controls traffic passing near, in, and around work zones.
- Must be 18 years or older.
- A minimum of 2 years of relevant construction experience.
- Willing to work various shift schedules, including nights and weekends.
- Ability to travel to various project and work sites as needed.
- Experience with machines and tools used in construction, including their designs, uses, repair and maintenance.
- Ability to understand written and verbal instructions.
- Ability to understand and follow safety rules, policies, procedures and regulations.
- Ability to work as a team to carry out assigned tasks.
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions
- Works outdoors at railroad construction sites in all weather conditions, including very hot and cold weather.
- Capable of walking long distances on uneven or rough terrain.
- Lifts, pushes, pulls, and carries heavy objects, machinery and tools up to 100 pounds.
- Performs physical activities that require considerable use of the arms and legs and moving the whole body, such as standing, climbing, lifting, balancing, walking, stooping, bending and handling of materials, equipment and tools.
- May be exposed to loud noise, live track/trains and high voltage.
- Must wear appropriate safety equipment, such as safety glasses, safety boots, hard hats, and hearing protection, as required by the company.
- Competitive compensation
- Top of the market benefits including medical, dental, vision and disability options to opt into
- 401 (k) with employer match
- PTO accrual after 1 year of company tenure
- Substantial opportunities to grow your career and take it to the next level
- Per Diem and lodging for qualifying positions.
- And more!
As a US Department of Transportation contractor, RailWorks is required to comply with all current Federal DOT regulations, including drug testing. At this time, Federal DOT drug tests do not allow for the use of marijuana, even in states that allow medical and/or recreational use. Accordingly, candidates will be required to pass a pre-employment drug test that includes marijuana prior to being hired.
This job description is not intended to represent a complete, comprehensive list of all duties and responsibilities that may be required in this position. There may be unplanned activities and other duties as assigned.
RailWorks Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment with RailWorks without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by law.
Nearest Major Market: Salt Lake City