District-Wide Substitute Teacher - #291984
Urbana School District #116
Date: 06/11/2021 14:30 PM
City: Monticello, Illinois
Salary: $140 / day
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
Urbana School District 116
TITLE: District-Wide Substitute Teacher (Permanent Substitute)
LOCATION: Urbana School District #116
SUPERVISOR: Building Principal(s) and Assistant Principal(s)
JOB SUMMARY: Under general direction of the Director of Human Resources, the District-Wide Substitute Teacher is contacted in the morning on a daily basis and assigned to sub for a classroom teacher or teaching assistant position at any of the ten school buildings. The District-Wide Substitute must be willing and able to cover any grade level, content or subject area, classroom type, or teaching assistant position in any school, sometimes splitting the day between more than one building, classroom, assignment, or duty. Overall, he/she is responsible for helping students learn subject matter and skills that will contribute to their development as mature, able, and responsible adults in the absence of the full-time classroom teacher or teaching assistant. This position is ineligible to accept Long-term assignments.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The successful District-Wide Substitute Teacher:
- Answers and responds to a phone call, text, or email from the Substitute Coordinator or delegate each morning between 7:00-8:00 AM to learn of the day's assignment and location.
- Reports to the assigned school building at least 15 minutes prior to the start of the school or within 30 minutes of learning the assignment.
- Implements existing lesson plans in a manner that ensures the integrity of the content and maximizes student engagement and participation.
- Meets and instructs assigned classes, and fulfills supervision and other assigned duties, in the locations and at the times designated.
- Addresses the individual needs, interests, learning styles, and abilities of the students, to the highest extent possible.
- Collects and assigns all work as listed specifically in the lesson plans or sub notes and leaves collected work labeled where it can be found by the teacher or teaching assistant.
- Creates a classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and interests of the students.
- Encourages students to set and maintain appropriate standards of classroom and building behavior.
- Employs a variety of instructional techniques, consistent with the physical limitations of the location, the provided lesson plans, and the needs and capabilities of the individuals or student groups involved.
- Maintains accurate records of attendance, progress, concerns, and events regarding each substitute teaching or teaching assistant assignment and leaves clear notes for the full time classroom teacher or T.A..
- Takes all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials and facilities.
- Records student attendance for assigned classrooms.
- Records and compile data monitoring academic and behavior programming as assigned as part of the daily lesson plans.
- Participates in staff, team, and/or collaboration meetings as part of the daily assignment for an absent teacher or T.A. to take notes and relay back.
- Performs all other duties and tasks assigned from time to time by the teacher as it relates to individual students or the classroom.
- Monitors student needs and behaviors during lunch, going to and from all classes, and at all times as required by the schedule of the assignment covering for the day.
- Remains in classroom setting and monitors assigned student(s) at all times.
- Reports all student injuries, accidents, illnesses, and discipline problems to school personnel immediately as appropriate.
- Assists the administration in implementing all policies and rules governing student life and conduct, and for the classroom, using the school’s PBIS and Restorative Practices frameworks, develops reasonable rules of classroom behavior and procedures, and maintains order in the classroom in a fair and just manner.
- Collaborates with colleagues and volunteers to increase the success for students in the classroom.
- Leaves written notes to, or debriefs in person with, the absent teacher or teaching assistant to inform him/her of material covered that day and a general overview of the day.
- Returns classroom materials and equipment to where found and straightens the room and desks as needed.
- Completes annual trainings as required.
- Maintains professional relationships with students and faculty, follows ethics of the teaching profession, and promotes the welfare of students at all times.
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university
- Valid Illinois Substitute License or Professional Educator License
- Must have willingness and ability to get to any of the school buildings (UECS, Leal, Thomas Paine, Wiley, King, Dr. Williams, Yankee Ridge, UMS, UHS (including Wesley Foundation), or Gerber) within 30 minutes of learning the day's assignment
- Must be willing and have the transportation to be relocated, on occasion, from one building to another building during the day when needed
- Must have phone and/or email connection to receive assignments in the morning between 7:00 - 8:00 AM
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- $140 daily rate with increased rates for retired classroom teachers, if applicable
- Monday through Friday on all student contact days
- Hours are the school’s student hours plus 15 minutes before and after school begins, in addition to communication about the day's assignment as early as 7:00 AM
- 10 sick days provided annually, pro-rated according to start date
- Must complete Safe Schools Training annually during non-student contact hours by the deadline established by the Director of Human Resources or their designee.
EVALUATION: Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Board’s policy on evaluation of professional personnel.
START DATE: August 2021
NOTE: This is not a position within the collective bargaining unit and is not an administrative position.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
REVISED: January 2021