Paratransit Bus Driver $18 - #292075
Advance Transit Inc
Date: 06/11/2021 16:02 PM
City: Orford, New Hampshire
Salary: $18 / hour
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
Classification: Hourly, Exempt from overtime per Federal Motor Carrier Act guidelines
Pay Rate: $18.00 per hour
Reporting to the Paratransit Services Program Manager. Primarily drive ACCESS AT buses to transport passengers with disabilities in demand response service following manifest schedules in a safe, professional manner to provide dependable, courteous public transportation service. This position could be assigned only to vehicles in the Advance Transit Inc. fleet that are not classified as a commercial motor vehicle. This position is classified as safety sensitive and as such is subject to FTA mandated drug and alcohol testing. Shift hours will vary on a rotation basis weekly.
- Operates a passenger bus as instructed by the Paratransit Services Manager or following a schedule.
- Assists passengers with disabilities (individuals utilizing wheelchairs, walkers, etc.) into and out of the bus when requested. Operates wheelchair lifts or bus kneeling features and secures wheelchairs with the restraint system on the bus for both passenger safety and comfort.
- Comply with federal, state, local regulations and internal operating and safety policies.
- Operates two-way radio or cellular telephone in a professional manner to communicate with dispatcher or headquarters to report delays or disruption in service, or to communicate with other transit buses to report passenger transfers or delays.
- Promotes positive passenger relations by greeting passengers in a pleasant and courteous manner, by listening politely to their questions and concerns, and by providing appropriate information regarding bus schedules, routes, and transfer points.
- Regulate heating, lighting, and ventilating systems for passenger comfort.
- Keep records of passenger trips, including such information as pick up and drop off times, odometer readings, etc. and report any deviation from scheduled activity.
- Report all passenger incidents and vehicle accidents to the dispatcher, following proscribed procedures.
- Report all vehicle mechanical problems to the maintenance department.
- Perform pre-trip and post-trip inspections as required for commercial vehicles.
- Report any lost items found on the bus to headquarters at the end of each shift.
- Will participate in the cleaning and maintenance of the bus they operate that day; bus stops or shelters. This will include daily sweeping and mopping of the vehicle, emptying the waste bin on the bus, and cleaning of the driver compartment of the bus. Shelters or bus stop cleaning may also include shoveling snow, clearing away debris, or cleaning.
- Attend all training scheduled by the Transportation Operations Manager.
- Perform other duties as required or assigned.
- Technical Capacity with software – ability to use a tablet for trip manifest.
- Map reading skills and ability to give out driving directions.
- Able to obtain a Medical DOT card.
- Must have a clean driving record.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills- ability to converse in English to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to passengers and co-workers whether in person, by telephone, or by two-way radio.
- Ability to sit, stand, walk, climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
- Customer service focused.
- Organized & Independent worker
- Problem Solving and Analysis
- Ability to Multi-task
- Patience with Others and ability to instruct others effectively
- This is a Safety-Sensitive position and is subject to FTA mandated drug & alcohol testing
- U.S. DOT medical certification.
Required Educational and Experience:
High school diploma or general education degree (GED) or the equivalent in education and experience required. Must maintain a valid Commercial Driver’s License and US DOT medical certification.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of all activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties and responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.