R & D Leader, Foamular Insulation - #292076
Date: 06/11/2021 16:02 PM
City: North Lawrence, Ohio
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The Foamular Science & Technology (S&T) leader competitively drives results by driving business-decisions to support growth of our North American FOAMULAR brand business. The role provides fundamental leadership within the S&T organization to the Foamular business and manufacturing partners. And is responsible for communicating dependable results and explaining the business implications to innovation partners, and occasionally to external partners, customers or suppliers. In addition, the leader will develop strategic plans to support business objectives.
Join an organization that believes that every employee owns a piece of our bold growth goals and ultimate success. We are a market-leading innovator that has placed on the Fortune 500®. Owens Corning is devoted to delivering sustainable solutions across our three business segments while striving to ensure our people and products make the world a better place. We take pride in having an inclusive and diverse workplace with employees around the globe. A holistic sense of community exists across our entire organization as our talent grows globally. We are a company that fully recognizes the importance of paving a path to a sustainable and safe enterprise through investing in our people. Our desire to make an impactful difference in the world flows from top down to all levels of the organization. By being a company that instills pride within each and every employee, we aspire to build market-leading businesses; global in scope - human in scale.
Reports to: Director R&D
Span of Control: Lead the Foam R&D Organization, 8 direct reports, located at our Tallmadge Technology Center.
- Builds a solid performing team and works to develop & engage team members according to growth plans.
- Ensures team has the right talent and capabilities to be successful.
- Provide leadership to Foamular S&T team though coaching, mentoring, and support of development of organizational capabilities.
- Identify and recruit early career talent to ensure a strong pipeline of talent within the ISB R&D Organization.
- Provide coaching and mentoring within and outside of the Foamular S&T team.
- Effectively manage development and growth of direct reports; succession planning.
- Challenges team to achieve maximum potential, seen as advancement of direct reports.
- Accurately identifies capabilities and skill levels required to meet current and future objectives.
- Tallmadge S&T operations management.
- Budgeting: Financial and capital forecasting and planning.
- Portfolio and Intellectual property management.
- Participate on key NLT teams (Foam, S&T – NABI/FOAM) providing technical leadership to business.
- Works with cross-functional teams to accomplish technical and business objectives
- >90% accuracy in budget forecasting.
- Drives technical decisions at business level.
- Builds partnerships within team and across organization to gain cooperation and commitment.
Codes and Standards Work
- Represents Foamular business at appropriate governmental agencies relative to business interest.
- Supports and maintains appropriate listing and certification programs.
- Industry leader for material standards at appropriate standards, codes and building organizations and committees.
- Able to affect change on code and standards committees that impact OC.
- Viewed as industry expert and leader.
Product & Process Development
- Identifies, understands and models the habits, choices and unarticulated needs of both our customers and end-users.
- Translates customer and end-user needs into winning product development strategies including new and improved product manufacturing practices leading to superior product performance.
- Integrates technical and commercial capabilities to drive innovation. Implement disciplined, transparent and focused approaches to solve problems through science and technology fundamentals.
- Manages team to lead projects from concept through to commercialization, for large cross-functional teams, and ensuring consistent alignment with the business strategy throughout the project. Projects to be managed through Stage Gate processes.
- Demonstrates the ability to define and meet key milestones, to work and communicate effectively with people at all levels within the organization, and to technically lead the development of solutions.
- Implements all projects deliverables in alignment with customer and business requirements and any approved scope changes.
- Partner with manufacturing on key productivity initiatives.
- Provides competitive product and market intelligence.
- Delivers key growth and productivity initiatives to market in timely manner.
- Challenges business partners on what is real and sets clear timelines on what can be achieved.
- 10 years of experience working in a science laboratory and/or technology development environment; People leadership experience.
- PhD or master’s degree in science or engineering – Chemistry, Chem E, Mechanical Engineer, or Polymer Chem preferred
- Product development and/or applications development experience
- Codes/Standards experience
- Travel: 20%
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent communication and analytical skills
- Sound technical judgement and familiarity with business-acumen (future growth)
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively in a global organization
- Creative mindset – willing to try new ways of doing things to improve effectiveness or create value
- Team-oriented – work effectively with peers, pilot operators, science leaders, engineering and customers
Develops high-performing teams. Invests deeply in the growth and success of others. Challenges team to set ambitious objectives and develop capabilities, providing coaching and feedback to accelerate growth. Empowers team to make decisions and provides meaningful challenges.
Works horizontally. Delivers enterprise strategy by partnering across businesses, functions, and geographies. Coordinates sharing of resources and talent across teams to accomplish company priorities. Leverages a deep understanding of the organization’s networks, customers and influencers to plan communications, gain stakeholder buy-in, and build consensus.
Demands continuous improvement. Redefines what is possible. Challenges everyone to find better ways of doing things. Rewards novel thought, encourages calculated risks, and champions bold ideas. Drives innovation ahead of future demands.
Connects the dots. Brings together multiple information sources to make evidence-based decisions. Seeks to understand and solve complex problems. Leads through ambiguity, applying critical thinking to make the best choice based on what is known. Balances practical and theoretical approaches when making decisions.
Models resilience. Pushes through barriers with optimism and endurance. Pivots based on new obstacles or learnings Rallies teams after failures, focusing on what was learned. Acts as a source of stability and clarity during uncertainty.
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning is a global building and industrial materials leader. The company's three integrated businesses are dedicated to the manufacture and advancement of a broad range of insulation, roofing and fiberglass composite materials. Leveraging the talents of 19,000 employees in 33 countries, Owens Corning provides innovative products and sustainable solutions that address energy efficiency, product safety, renewable energy, durable infrastructure, and labor productivity. These solutions provide a material difference to the company's customers and make the world a better place. Based in Toledo, Ohio, USA, the company posted 2020 sales of $7.1 billion. Founded in 1938, it has been a Fortune 500® company for 66 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com.
Owens Corning is an equal opportunity employer.