Center Aide - #292181
Date: 06/11/2021 18:01 PM
City: Newport, Tennessee
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
Telamon is an eleven-state, non-profit corporation headquartered in Raleigh, North Carolina serving communities for 55 years. Telamon's mission is to provide educational services that lead to better jobs, better lives, and better communities. Telamon provides programs and services in three areas, Early Childhood and Family Support, Workforce Career Services, and Housing & Financial Empowerment.
Ensures the safety and security of the children in the facility and on the bus, promotes learning and development of children and assists teaching staff in planning and carrying out educational activities. May assist in the kitchen,with clerical duties or with custodial duties.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Assists the Teacher in implementing educational programs for each child and the classroom and on playground.
2. Assists the Teacher in record keeping, observations, assessments and screenings.
3. Performs duties of Bus Monitor as assigned. Ensures children are safely transported on the bus by checking seat belts and making the children stay seated. Checks the bus to make sure all children have exited.
4. Engages the children on the bus to create an interactive environment by preparing activities and conversing with them.
5. Serves as a liaison between staff and parents.
6. Maintains confidentiality regarding students.
7. Protects the safety of children by implementing active supervision techniques to ensure no child is left alone or unsupervised at any time.
8. Assist children in health and personal habits, such as eating, resting, brushing teeth, and toilet habits.
9. Assist in preparing food and serving meals to children. Maintain clean environment for food service area and wash dishes and pans.
10. Assist with laundry, custodial and clerical duties.
11. Assist with the mobilization and documentation of matching/in-kind funds.
12. Fills in on a temporary basis when a staff member needs to leave the classroom for a short duration.
13. Participates in staff meetings and training sessions.
14. Works in cooperation with supervisor to develop and document progress on professional development plan. Actively engages in professional development activities to increase qualifications in accordance with Corporation’s Core Values.
15. Work may require the flexibility to stay until all children have left the program.
16. Driving to transport food to serve children, or to perform other work-related tasks may be necessary.
17. Perform all other duties as assigned.
This position has no direct supervisory duties.
Education and Experience Requirements
Grade 5 
•High school diploma or G.E.D. recommended.
•Ability to follow standard practices and instructions, keep routine records and effectively communicate with staff, parents and children.
•Willingness to work to meet minimum state licensing requirements for classroom ratio position.
Grade 7 
•Child Development Associate (CDA) credential in assigned age group and experience working with young children
Grade 11 
•Associates degree (AA) or higher in Early Childhood Education or *related field Preferred
•At least six months experience in a similar position working with children.
•Prior experience in clerical, food service, office, or organizing role.
All grades require completion of CPR/First Aid within a month of hire. State requirements may vary, individual must meet requirements for state in which they are employed.
* Degree in a related field is defined as an associate, baccalaureate, or advanced degree in a field other than child development or early childhood education that either includes or is supplemented by twelve (12) college credits in child development, early childhood, or equivalent coursework focusing on children birth to age five. At least 3 of those credits must be in an infant toddler or preschool focused foundations course in child development.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
•Work is performed mostly inside the facility.
•Sitting walking, stooping, squatting, lifting(up to 30 lbs), carrying, pushing and climbing.
•Riding in a bus for prolong periods of time with noise and vibration.
•Moving through the Center and classrooms.Ability to respond to quickly changing situations in a safe manner.
•Frequent exposure to adverse weather conditions.
•Exposure to blood,other bodily fluids, cleaning chemicals and dirt.
•Occasional pushing of heavy cart, bending, reaching and climbing.
•Using sharp tools for cutting and preparing food.
•Handling containers of hot food.
•Regular attendance for this position is required, as regular attendance ensures we are providing the services we have committed to provide to the children and families we serve.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.