VOLUNTEER- Red Cross Shelter Volunteer - #337403
American Red Cross
Date: 07/22/2021 13:00 PM
City: Orwigsburg, Pennsylvania
Contract type: Part Time
Work schedule: Full Day
The role of Sheltering Service Associate is to serve as a member of a temporary work unit on a disaster relief operation to successfully complete their assigned areas of responsibility on a disaster relief operation. They ensure safe sheltering at a single shelter throughout the cycle of the disaster.
- Serve as a shelter worker on a disaster relief operation. (MUST BE WILLING TO DEPLOY FOR 14 DAYS.) Roles may include working in reception, registration, feeding, dormitory, information, or other areas within a shelter.
- Meeting disaster-caused sheltering needs of individuals, families, and communities.
- Providing services with kindness and compassion that are accessible and equitable to all clients.
- Maintaining clear communication and collaboration with supervisor and peers.
- Ensuring accuracy in all assigned tasks.
- Providing accurate reporting of sheltering activity as assigned.
- Regional responses: Shift work determined by the scale of the relief operation; a minimum requirement of 8-12 hours per day during the disaster relief operation for multiple, consecutive days.
- Beyond Regional responses: 12-14 hour days for extended periods depending on distance. Time and length of commitment will vary by operation
- Ability to function in a dynamic and stressful environment with little or no supervision, adapting to change, negotiating compromise, and tolerating ambiguity.
- Ability to apply basic food safety in all feeding areas.
- Ability to organize, plan, and allocate resource while using materials and space effectively.
- Ability to participate and contribute in regular meetings.
- Good organizational skills, responsible and punctual.
- Active listening skills and ability to work well with others.
- Ability to implement Standards and Procedures and follow associated job tools including reporting requirements.
- Ability to interact with community members in a clear, compassionate manner, respectful of diversity and unique needs.
- Ability to involve appropriate others in managing problems and conflict.
- Ability to acquire, evaluate, and report information accurately.
- Customer Focus: Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
- Action Oriented: Taking on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy, and enthusiasm.
- Values Differences: Recognizing the value that different perspectives and cultures bring to an organization.
- Ability to lift / carry 20 lbs. multiple times/shift.
- Ability to stand and or sit for two-hour periods.
- Ability to bend or stoop multiple times.
- Ability to work outdoors in inclement weather, extreme heat and/or humidity and/or extreme cold.
- Ability to step up/down 18 inches and climb two or more flights of stairs.
- Ability to speak clearly on phone and in person.
- Ability to drive in day time and at night.
To get started as a Red Cross volunteer, please visit: https://volunteerconnection.redcross.org/?nd=lead&a=1595&h=193&p=592563
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: $0.01 per year
Willingness To Travel:
- 75% (Preferred)