Power System Operations Specialist 2 - Alhambra - #337504
Southern California Edison
Date: 07/22/2021 14:30 PM
City: Alhambra, California
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
Join the Clean Energy Revolution
Become a Power System Operations Specialist 2 (PSO2) at Southern California Edison (SCE) and build a better tomorrow. In this job, you will be responsible for managing and monitoring SCE electrical system operations through functional supervision of substation System Operators to ensure reliable operation. You will be accountable for implementing or directing actions independently to avoid or mitigate system electrical emergencies, including the authority to shed firm and interruptible load, if necessary. This position represents SCE as the single point of contact with the California Independent System Operator (CISO) for Utility Distribution Company (UDC) and Transmission operations.
As a PSO2, your work will help power our planet, reduce carbon emissions and create cleaner air for everyone. Are you ready to take on the challenge to help us build the future?
A day in the life - Get ready to think big, work smart and shine bright!
- Monitor system conditions to ensure electric system reliability, in accordance with North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC) and Western Electricity Coordinating Council (WECC) Reliability Standards, both individually and by providing functional guidance to System Operators at Switching Center personnel in the field. Confers with PSO3 or PSO4 as necessary to determine the best course of action.
- Monitors interconnected system conditions, SCE and interconnected system line flows, voltages, Remedial Action Schemes, and equipment limits during normal and emergency conditions, under overall on-shift functional direction of PSO4.
- Facilitate electrical system scheduled and unscheduled outages and coordinate with SCE Switching Centers, CISO and other utilities, as required.
- Directs changes in electrical system components to ensure electric system integrity and reliability.
- Implement UDC emergency operating actions as required, including shedding of firm and interruptible load if necessary, to comply with SCE, CISO and Reliability Coordinator (RCWest) procedures and NERC and WECC Reliability Standards.
- Implement notification protocols when required to ensure SCE Senior Management and required external agencies are informed of electrical system events.
- Five or more years’ experience in electric system operations.
- Advanced operational knowledge of the electric system, CISO operations and interconnected system operation.
- Possess detailed knowledge of CISO, NERC, RCWest and WECC operating policies, practices and procedures.
- Ability to acquire NERC System Operator certification at Reliability Coordinator Level in 3 months or less.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or related field.
- Two or more years’ experience in dispatching transmission systems.
- Thorough understanding of SCE bulk power transmission, sub-transmission and distribution systems.
- Currently possess a NERC System Operator certification at Reliability Coordinator Level.
- Experience in monitoring and overseeing all aspects of shift activity and providing leadership for a team at the SCE GCC that is responsible for ensuring reliable operation of the SCE electric system in a real-time environment.
- Experience in making real-time decisions regarding operation of the SCE electric system that may have a direct effect on system reliability or SCE as a corporation.
- Operational knowledge of the SCE and relevant neighboring utility electrical systems to ensure reliable interconnected system operations.
You should know
- Visit our Candidate Resource page to get meaningful information related to benefits, perks, resources, testing information, and hiring process, and more!
- This position requires testing and applicants who are identified to continue through the selection process will be invited to test via email. We invite you to visit our Candidate Resource page for further information and to access information guides. For information guides, please reference the Edison Individual Contributor Workstyles (#8203) tests. Candidates who have previously passed these assessment(s), in some cases, may not need to retest again for this position.
- Must be willing to work rotating shifts with irregular hours and days off
- This position has been identified as a NERC/CIP impacted position - Prior to being hired, the successful candidate must pass a Personnel Risk Assessment (PRA) or Background Investigation. Once hired, the candidate must complete specified training prior to gaining un-escorted access to assigned work location and performing necessary job duties.
About Southern California Edison
The people at SCE don't just keep the lights on. Our mission is so much bigger. We’re fueling the kind of innovation that’s changing an entire industry, and quite possibly the planet. Join us and create a future with cleaner energy, while providing our customers with the safety and reliability they demand. At SCE, you’ll have a chance to grow personally and professionally, making a real impact in Southern California and around the world.
At SCE, we celebrate our differences. We are a proud Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status or any other protected status.
We are committed to ensuring that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. #LI-LH1