Trained Medication Specialist - #337667
Monarch Healthcare Management
Date: 07/22/2021 16:30 PM
City: Mountain Iron, Minnesota
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
This job posting is for The Waterview Woods facility in Eveleth, MN.
The Trained Medication Specialist is responsible for the administration of medications according to State and Federal guidelines under the supervision of a licensed nurse. This position properly distinguishes medical abbreviations, effects of medications, properly identifying therapeutic and adverse reactions and following through on proper procedure. Must be willing to assist the Nurses and NAR's as needed. Must pass nursing boards within 60 days of hire.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
Administration of Medications by Unlicensed Personnel
- May administer medication, whether oral, suppository, eye drops, ear drops or topical if the medications are regularly scheduled and in the case of PRN medications, the administration of the medication is authorized by a nurse or reported to a nurse within a time period that is specified by nursing home policy prior to the administration.
Follows Proper Procedure to Medication-Administration according to State and Federal Requirements
- Administers medication accurately, according to policy, including hand washing and 5 rights.
- Knows medical abbreviations and their meanings
- Know use of Physicians' Desk Reference or nursing drug handbook to state classifications of drug indication or purpose for use, side effects or adverse reactions, special consideration, and adult dosage.
- Knowledgeable of administered medication desired actions, side effects and adverse reactions.
- Has minimal medication and treatment errors
- Signs out medications and treatments appropriately and according to policy.
- Knows and follows proper procedure to accessing the ER kit and contacts licensed nurse to follow through.
- Documents PRN's according to policy
- Attends all staff education of the facility relating to safety, infection control an disease process.
- Attends staff meetings at the facility.
- Attends program on Continuous Quality Improvement and Customer satisfaction.
- Promotes a highly positive workplace centered on strong customer service, inclusivity and ensuring staff feel welcome and supported
Education and Experience
- Must be a graduate of an approved college with a degree in nursing; and which includes satisfactory completion of pharmacology coursework
- CNA certification required
- CPR certification preferred
- Previous experience in healthcare; skilled nursing or assisted living