Laboratory Manager / Quality Assurance Officer - #337770
Stony Brook University
Date: 07/22/2021 17:30 PM
City: Fire Island, New York
Salary: $50,000 - $63,000 / year
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
Required Qualifications (as evidenced by an attached resume):
Bachelor’s Degree (foreign equivalent or higher). Two (2) years’ experience authoring, implementing, or utilizing QA/QC, QAPPs and QAMPs in a regulated environment.
Bachelor’s Degree (foreign equivalent or higher) in Chemistry, Environmental Sciences, Engineering or a related field. Familiarity with standard operating procedures (e.g., EPA 350.1 and 353.2; USGSI-3565-85 and I-2030-85) and laboratory QA/QC. Familiarity w/ QA/QC for field sampling. Experience with data management software and laboratory information management systems.
Brief Description of Duties:
The NYS Center for Clean Water Technology (CCWT) at Stony Brook University seeks a full-time Senior Research Support Specialist to serve as Laboratory Manager Quality Assurance Officer to work under the strategic direction of the CCWT’s Executive staff. The successful candidate will be responsible for the maintenance of the Center’s NYS Department of Health (DoH) Environmental Laboratory Approval Program (ELAP) certification and compliance with all Quality Assurance Project Plans (QAPPs) entered into by the Center with various funding agencies at the state and federal level. The candidate should be familiar with Quality Assurance/Quality Control (QA/QC) standards and protocols and record-keeping, reporting and documentation requirements at the NYS and federal levels including the U.S. EPA Requirements for Quality Assurance Project Plans dated March 2001 (QA/R-5), National Environmental Laboratory Accreditation Standards (2003, 2009) (NELAC) and NYS ELAP procedures. Additionally, as the Lab Manager, the candidate will be responsible for ordering and maintaining required inventories of compliant reagents, standards, supplies and materials and service contracts. The candidate will also be responsible for ensuring compliance with all Stony Brook University Environmental Health and Safety (SBU EH&S) regulations. The appointed candidate will be capable of working independently but also be part of an interdisciplinary team of researchers and staff. Excellent communication skills are essential.
Quality Assurance Officer
- Ensuring maintenance of Center’s NYS ELAP certification for wastewater and drinking water analytes
- Successful completion of bi-annual external NYS ELAP audits and annual internal audits for 3 CCWT certified labs
- Authoring additional QAPPs and QAMPs for new grant funding
- Preparing required reports for lab clients according to ELAP and client guidelines; submitting data into required forms or platforms
- Recordkeeping and documentation of QA/QC procedures and relevant data as prescribed by relevant State and Federal guidelines
- Participating in QA/QC meetings with relevant analytical and research staff to ensure ELAP training and certification of analysts
- Reporting on QA/QC and other regulatory compliance matters to CCWT’s Executive Staff
- Ensure compliance with all State, Federal and SBU guidelines and coordination with SBU’s EH&S department.
- Assist Center researchers by maintaining non-expired reagent and standard inventories, observance of MSDS guidelines and purchasing of supplies/consumables
- Coordinate with building manager(s), and University staff as needed in any matters concerning CCWT
- Coordinate shipments and deliveries of materials
- Other duties as assigned
The Research Foundation of SUNY is a private educational corporation. Employment is subject to the Research Foundation policies and procedures, sponsor guidelines and the availability of funding. FLSA Exempt position, not eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. Minimum salary threshold must be met to maintain FLSA exemption.
Resume/CV and cover letter should be included with the online application.
Stony Brook University is committed to excellence in diversity and the creation of an inclusive learning, and working environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, familial status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status and all other protected classes under federal or state laws.
If you need a disability-related accommodation, please call the university Office of Equity and Access (OEA) at (631) 632-6280 or visit OEA.
In accordance with the Title II Crime Awareness and Security Act a copy of our crime statistics can be viewed here.
Visit our WHY WORK HERE page to learn about the total rewards we offer.
Official Job Title: Senior Research Support Specialist
Job Field: Administrative & Professional (non-Clinical)
Primary Location: US-NY-Stony Brook
Department/Hiring Area: School of Marine & Atmospheric Sciences-The Research Foundation for The State University of New York at Stony Brook
Schedule: Full-time Shift: Day Shift Shift Hours: 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM
Posting Start Date: Jul 22, 2021
Posting End Date: Aug 21, 2021, 10:59:00 PM
Salary: $50,000 - $63,000
Salary Grade: E79
Appointment Type: Regular