AOSIII/Health Information Technician - #337924
Virginia Piedmont Geriatric Hospital
Date: 07/22/2021 19:30 PM
City: Burkeville, Virginia
Salary: $28,354 / year
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
Piedmont Geriatric Hospital (PGH) is located in the picturesque rural setting of the Southside region of Virginia. PGH is just 60 miles from the state capital (Richmond), 65 miles from the Blue Ridge Mountains, and 144 miles from the waves of Virginia Beach. PGH is a 123-bed, gero-psychiatric hospital, operated by the Virginia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services (DBHDS). PGH is Virginia’s only state Mental Health Facility solely dedicated to evaluation and treatment of persons aged 65 and older. The goal of care is to facilitate discharge to a less restrictive setting by assisting patients to improve and/or maintain their physical, mental and social functioning.
PGH has H.E.A.R.T. Values: Honesty, Excellence, Accountability, Respect, Teamwork
Piedmont Geriatric Hospital is seeking an Administrative Office Specialist III to work in the Health Information Management Department as an HIM Coder & Compliance Representative. This position will provide indirect patient care to gero-psychiatric patients that conforms to care and treatment policies and procedures and demonstrates knowledge of population specific needs and competencies. Codes admission, ongoing and discharge diagnoses for each patient’s hospitalization using ICD-10-CM, CPT and DSM-5; processes Physician Fee-For-Service forms as applicable; monitors compliance for billing-related and regulatory practices; reconciles/negotiates Off-Campus and OPPS bills; enters quality measure abstractions into Avatar system for NRI reporting; provides departmental support for time-sensitive requirements as needed.
Knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully perform the job duties include:
- Proficiency using ICD-10-CM and CPT to code psychiatric and medical diagnoses and procedures.
- Working knowledge of health information practices with a focus on insurance verification/conciliation.
- Ability to prioritize to meet deadlines; experience using data entry system for medical coding in addition to patient admission/discharge/transfer system(s).
- Working understanding of regulatory requirements, quality measures/reporting and auditing for compliance.
- Good oral and written communication skills with ability to generate correspondence independently, handle patient confidential information.
- General Office skills with ability to operate office equipment to efficiently use Microsoft Office applications (particularly Word and Excel).
Our values of H.E.A.R.T. make us a great place to work! Your success in our organization depends upon modeling these values, if you are in agreement, we encourage you to apply
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- AAPC or AHIMA Certification for Medical Coder (ICD-10-CM, CPT, HCPCS).
- Working experience using medical coding.
- Experience in Health Information Management practices.
- Experience using Microsoft Office software applications.
- Previous experience with medical office billing.
- Courses in Health Information Technology preferred.
- Working knowledge of DSM-5 preferred.
- Experience in data entry is preferred.
All applicants are subject to an extensive background investigation and pre-employment drug screen. The investigation may include: fingerprint checks (State Police, FBI); local agency checks; Department of Social Services/Child Protective Services check; employment verification; and verification of education (relevant to employment).
Under Virginia Code §§ 37.2-314 and 37.2-408.1, the Department of Behavioral Health & Developmental Services is prohibited from employing or using as volunteers, persons who have been convicted of specific (“barrier”) crimes or persons who may be the subject of pending (“barrier”) charges (Go to the code section to see barrier crimes and related information).
Please provide all relevant work experience. In describing your relevant experience, please be clear and specific. We will not make assumptions regarding your experience
Special Instructions to Applicants
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during the application and/or interview processes per the American with Disabilities Act. If you are a person with a disability and desire assistance or accommodation, please notify Human Resources at (804) 766-3277 during business hours, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
PGH offers a comprehensive benefit package to include your choice of health plan, paid life insurance and retirement plans, discounts, employee referral programs, 12 paid holidays, annual, family personal and sick leave.
PGH is a tobacco-free, smoke-free work environment.
PGH is a Virginia Values Veterans (V3) certified employer, that provides hiring preference to qualified veterans and service members. We highly encourage veterans, and active members of the Virginia National Guard and/or U.S. Military Reserve members to apply, and to respond accordingly on the state application.
Piedmont Geriatric Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment opportunities are open to all applicants regardless of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability. Minorities, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and people with National Service experience are encourage to apply. EEO/AA/TTY
Name Angela Roque
5001 E. Patrick Henry Hwy
Burkeville, VA 23922