Director of Academic Scheduling and Associate Registrar - #390307
Date: 08/19/2021 20:00 PM
City: Fairfield, Connecticut
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
Fairfield University seeks a Director of Academic Scheduling/Associate Registrar to develop and maintain the University's Schedule of Classes and related systems in accordance with university academic regulations and policies and with high standards of accuracy, timeliness, and professionalism. The Director of Academic Scheduling/Associate Registrar is responsible for following best practices for scheduling, curriculum, registration, recordkeeping, and technology. Reporting to the Registrar the Director for Academic Scheduling/Associate Registrar is responsible for the University Undergraduate and Graduate Catalog and the associated content management system as well as the Course Evaluation system. The Director of Academic Scheduling/Associate Registrar will be the liaison to Information Technology Services and will utilize project management skills in implementing, maintaining and upgrading systems within the Office of the University Registrar.
Reports to: University Registrar
Staff: Clerical Staff (3); Graduate Assistants (2)
Other Internal Contacts: Deans; Academic Department Chairs; Faculty; Students; Directors; Director Event Planning, Facilities Planning, Information Technology Services, Director of Marketing & Communication; Director of Institutional Research; Bursar; Director of Financial Aid
External Contacts: Vendors; State and Federal Agencies; Regional and National Associations
- Collects, processes, analyzes, and maintains course information and assigns classrooms for college/schools, departments, programs, and organizations for courses, academic events, and final exams;
- Oversees the data management of the academic course schedule in the Student Information System (SIS) and academic scheduling software programs
- Assigns and reviews instructional spaces for all academic classes.
- Assigns and reviews course-related events and final exams following best classroom scheduling practices and space utilization policies.
- Manages the integration of instructional spaces, the scheduling of digital enhanced classrooms, and usage;
- Prepares and publishes the final exam schedule and maintains the Master Course List for the University and documents and updates scheduling policies, deadlines, etc.;
- Synthesizes guidelines, helps establish procedures, and enforces policies regarding instructional space and communication between the Office of the University Registrar, various administrative and academic areas, and external constituents;
- Provides support, training and technical assistance by responding to users of the Course Scheduling System and other scheduling-related systems;
- Assists with space and enrollment management by collecting and analyzing data, and preparing reports;
- Administers the course evaluation system and serves on the committee that oversees course evaluations;
- Coordinates the academic calendar with the Associate Provosts and the Faculty Calendar Committee
- Assists with Incoming First Year Orientation
- Coordinates the Undergraduate and Graduate Catalog updates. Inputs, maintains and oversees both undergraduate and graduate catalog information.
- Management of the course catalog including creation of new courses and modification of existing courses in the student information system;
- Develops and implements systems to maintain student academic records; administers storage, security, accuracy, and preservation of academic credentials in accordance with university policy, accreditation standards, and privacy laws.
- Maintain the Office of the Registrar's website and online workspaces (i.e. Confluence/Wiki, Sharepoint, Quip).
- Create and maintain comprehensive project documentation (requirements, test cases, design, etc.) for system upgrades, implementations, and other systems or business processes as needed.
- Be the third party/vendor liaison for new and existing software, web applications, and workflows.
- Be instrumental in researching and implementing innovative products/systems that streamline and improve new and current SIS processes and procedures related to various work areas in office and across campus (edited from the description).
- Work closely with Information Technology Services (ITS) on project management, ticket management processes, training needs
- Participate in professional development opportunities (classes, workshops, conferences, etc.) related to job duties and office needs
- Oversees the supervision of personnel, which includes work allocation, training, promotion, enforcement of internal procedures and controls, and problem resolution; evaluates performance and makes recommendations for personnel actions; motivates employees to achieve peak productivity and performance.
- Collaboration with campus partners to define needs, set priorities, and implement effective administrative practices through systems and business operations;
- Participates in development, implementation and maintenance of policies, objectives, short-and long-range planning; develops and implements projects and programs to assist in accomplishment of established goals.
- Work to streamline, improve and document all new and current SIS processes and procedures related to the functional area;
- Represents the organization on various committees, task forces and at local and national conferences;
- Develops or assists with the development and implementation of policies and procedures consistent with those of the organization to ensure efficient and safe operation of the unit.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Ability to develop and maintain recordkeeping systems and procedures.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Ability to gather data, compile information, and prepare reports.
- Troubleshoot technical issues with faculty and staff for a variety of student-related systems; when necessary, coordinate with campus partners and third party vendors
- Provide training (workshops, one-on-one sessions, user guides) for faculty and staff on student-related systems
- Strong technical background, with understanding and/or experience in system upgrades, implementations, web applications/forms (including testing, design, community relations, technical support)
- Skill in the use of personal computers and related software applications.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to use independent judgment and to manage and impart confidential information.
- Knowledge of the rules, regulations, and laws regarding student records; scheduling and curriculum policies.
- Skill in examining and re-engineering operations and procedures, formulating policy, and developing and implementing new strategies and procedures.
- Ability to analyze and solve problems.
- Skill in organizing resources and establishing priorities.
- Knowledge of on-line degree audit reporting system (if applicable).
- Ability to develop, plan, and implement short- and long-range goals.
- Ability to use project management skills to see priorities through to completion.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of records and information.
- Ability to interpret, adapt, and apply guidelines and procedures.
- Knowledge of computerized student information systems.
- Ability to supervise and train employees, to include organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments.
- Ability to make administrative and procedural decisions and judgments on sensitive, confidential issues.
- Ability to foster a cooperative work environment.
- Employee development and performance management skills.
- Knowledge of budgets, cost estimating, monitoring, and fiscal management principles and procedures.
Minimum Education and/or Work Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in related field and at least six or more years of related experience in higher education.
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite, Internet and email applications.
- Project Management software and skill set preferred.
- Experience with Ellucian Banner (including query writing) preferred
- Experience with scheduling platform Leepfrog CLSS and room assignment through EMS preferred
- Experience with catalog and curriculum management software preferred
- Experience with DocFinity or other document management software
- Experience with mobile applications, social media platforms, online workspace tools, and web applications
- Experience with ticketing systems
This position is based at Fairfield University’s Fairfield, CT campus.
Duties may be changed and/or be added at any time.
Disclaimer: The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Academic - Admin
All offers of employment are contingent upon a satisfactory background check.
Fairfield University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, committed to excellence through diversity, and, in this spirit, particularly welcomes applications from women, persons of color, Veterans, and members of historically underrepresented groups. The University will provide reasonable accommodations to all qualified individuals with a disability.
Load a resume or CV first, then upload supporting documents including a cover letter at the bottom of the third page under the "My Experience" section where it says to upload a Resume/CV . You will be able to upload up to 5 other documents in this section. You will be unable to edit your application, so please have all documents available before applying.
Faculty Positions : If you need to upload more than 5 documents, please either combine them to upload or email the additional documents to the applicable contact in the job description.
Staff positions : If you need to upload more than 5 documents, please either combine them to upload or email them to firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Type: Full-time
This job is expired. Please use the search form to find active jobs or submit your resume.