Community Health Worker - #390390
State Department of Health
Date: 08/19/2021 21:00 PM
City: Muskogee, Oklahoma
Salary: $37,000 / year
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
Community Health Worker
Department State Department of Health
County Location Adair OK
Date Opened 8/19/2021 08:00:00 AM
Filing Deadline Continuous
Salary Up to $37,000.00 based on education and experience
Full or Part Time Full-Time
The Oklahoma State Department of Health (OSDH) is committed to providing quality health services to Oklahoma citizens. The mission of the Department of Health is to promote, protect and improve the health of all Oklahomans through strategies that focus on preventing disease and injuries.
OSDH is seeking a full time Community Health Worker providing support to the Region 7 of the state. This is an unclassified position in state government. Duty station will be determined upon hire. OSDH offers a comprehensive Benefits Package, including a generous benefit allowance to offset the cost of insurance premiums for employees and their eligible dependents. For more information about the benefit allowance [click here].The annual salary for this position is up to $37,000.00, based on education and experience.
Community Health Workers (CHWs) will primarily work to promote health and wellness among of high-risk and underserved, including racial and ethnic minority populations. This position will be assigned to the local health department to provide culturally appropriate services based on the need to improve health outcomes. Services are provided in community outreach settings, including but not limited to homes, schools, hospitals, clinics, shelters, local businesses, and community centers
Position Responsibilities /Essential Functions
• Provide community-based services reflecting the specific needs of high-risk and underserved, including racial and ethnic minority populations and their families, including but not limited to nutritional services and transportation assistance
- Establish trusting relationships with diverse groups living within underserved and rural communities.
- Identify barriers to accessing health care and identify service needs
- Convey the purposes and services of a program and the impact that program or service would have on diverse populations
- Assist clients in understanding health management plans and reaching goals.
- Assist clients in understanding care plans and instructions
- Document activities, service plans, and results in an effective manner while strictly adhering to the policies and procedures in place
- Actively participate in required training and professional development activities.
- Assist local health department with contact tracing as needed
- Identify, generate, and maintain the database of community resources, services, and programs provided.
- Help clients in utilizing resources, including scheduling appointments, and assisting with completion of applications for programs for which they may be eligible
- Assist clients in accessing health related services, including but not limited to: obtaining a medical home, providing instruction on appropriate use of the medical home, overcoming barriers to obtaining needed medical care and social services
- Facilitate communication and coordinate services between providers
- Motivate clients to be active, engaged participants in their health
- Effectively work with people (staff, clients, doctors, agencies, etc.) from diverse backgrounds in reducing cultural and socio-economic barriers between clients and institutions
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with the clients, work team, community partners, providers, nurse case managers, agency representatives, supervisors and office staff
- Continuously expand knowledge and understanding of community resources, services and programs provided; human relations and the procedures used in dealing with the public as part of a service or program; volunteer resources and the practices associated with using volunteers, operations, functions, policies and procedures associated with the department or program area, procedures and resources available to handle new, unusual or different situations.
Demonstrates knowledge of and supports mission, vision, value statements, standards, policies and procedures, operating instructions, confidentiality standards, and the code of ethical behavior.
Works effectively in team environment, participating and assisting their peers.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Valued Knowledge, skills and abilities
- Be knowledgeable about community resources and services. Values diversity, equity and inclusion and articulates the value it brings to the organization.
- Ability to plan, coordinate, and track multiple ongoing projects; establish and maintain effective working relationships with others; communicate very effectively both orally and in writing. Ability to actively support diversity, equity, and cultural competency efforts within stated job responsibilities and work effectively across diverse cultures and constituencies.
- Demonstrate very strong skills in organization and documentation, problem solving, and computer skills including command of Word, Excel and any other database software(s) used to track work outputs. Demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work in a variety of settings with culturally-diverse persons and communities, with the ability to be culturally sensitive and appropriate.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
Work is typically performed in an office setting with a climate-controlled settings and exposure to moderate noise level. While performing the duties of the job, employee is required to talk, stand, sit, walk, stoop, lift, bend, push and reach with hands and arms. This position requires long period of sitting and daily use of computer and phone. Travel may include traveling during inclement weather. Ability to drive for hours at a time
- Requirements consist of High School Diploma or its equivalent. Two or more years of any health/social services experience.
If education, certification or licensure is required to meet qualifications, applicants must provide documentation at the time of interview
All applicants are subject to a background check and must be legally authorized to work in the United States without visa sponsorship.
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ABOUT WORKING AT THE OKLAHOMA STATE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH CLICK HERE
Please read instructions carefully and include all required documents when you submit your application
No additional information will be accepted after the application has been submitted.
Veteran's Preference Points Apply only for initial appointment in the Classified Service.
This job is expired. Please use the search form to find active jobs or submit your resume.