Benefits Manager - #390646
City of Norfolk, VA
Date: 08/20/2021 01:00 AM
City: Carrollton, Virginia
Salary: $66,188 - $108,018 / year
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
Norfolk, Virginia is America's most authentic and urban waterfront city. Home to the world's largest naval station and the business, arts, and cultural center of Coastal Virginia, Norfolk has been rated a top place to live, work, play, and raise a family by numerous publications.
Diverse. Agile. Accountable. Norfolk Consortium’s Benefits Team is seeking a dynamic Benefits Manager with a passion for public service, strong business partner mentality, and strong experience leading other HR benefits professionals and working with divisions to mutually solve departmental and organizational issues.
In collaboration with the City of Norfolk, Norfolk Public Schools and Norfolk Redevelopment and Housing Authority’s leadership team, the results-driven Benefits Manager will deliver and oversee competitive benefit plan administration programs and services with a strong customer-focus. The Benefits Manager will coordinate and manage daily Human Resources operations including benefits, employee programs, compliance, benefit administration, reporting and analysis, and employee benefits communication.
Additionally, the Benefits Manager will ensure processes, policies and practices are interpreted and applied consistently and effectively; and ensure accountability and compliance with all current and applicable local, state, and federal laws related to Human Resources, Benefits Administration, and all other applicable regulations, policies, and procedures.
Essential functions include but are not limited to:
- Administers the maintenance of HR related information within the Consortium’s HRIS and other applicable systems. Responsible for ensuring all benefit enrollments, new hire data, employee/position changes, and all other HR-related information is updated and entered correctly.
- Evaluates work processes to determine strategies and programs that provide greater productivity and efficiency of department functions.
- Documents processes and procedures to reduce errors and omissions exposure and to ensure consistency of practices.
- Creates and provides reports for local, state, and federal regulatory requirements.
- Leads and manages HR benefits professionals in the efficient and quality delivery of benefits and administrative programs.
- Reviews and audits the various tracking systems on a regular basis to ensure data integrity.
- Administers employee benefits programs such as retirement plans, major medical plans, and employee elected insurance programs.
- Evaluates and compares existing company benefits with those of other employers by analyzing other plans, surveys, and other sources of information.
- Plans, develops, and/or participates in area and industry surveys.
- Analyzes results of surveys and develops recommendations for review by management.
- Manages, oversees, and administers contracts and billing, maintains positive relationships vendors, researches, and prepares requests for proposals (RFPs), statements of work (SOWs) and independent cost estimates (ICEs) for procurement of benefit related vendor services from outside vendors, and contracts and liaises with vendors and contractors.
- When requested, analyzes current benefits, evaluates usage, services, coverage, plan experience, and competitive trends in benefits programs, and provides recommendations regarding program enhancement and cost control.
- Ensures plans align with the Consortium strategies and goals.
- Develops and executes change management and communication strategies to ensure all parties are fully informed of benefit plan changes and improves employee understanding.
- Conducts employee meetings and arranges for enrollment of employees in optional plans.
- Advises and counsels management and employees on existing benefits.
- Manages the Consortium annual benefits enrollment process.
- Leads or assists with special projects; and performs other duties as required.
Work requires specialized knowledge in a professional or technical field. Work requires professional level of knowledge of a discipline equivalent to that which is acquired in a bachelor’s degree-level of study or equivalent.
Five years of experience in specialty area such as benefits and human resources administration.
Preferred applicant will possess:
Three (3) years of experience in a Human Resources Management role.
Documented skills in HRIS data reporting and analytics.
SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP (or PHR/SPHR) Certified, or equivalent experience
Certified Employee Benefits Specialist (CEBS) Certification, highly desired
Additional Information & Requirements
This job is expired. Please use the search form to find active jobs or submit your resume.