Underground Groundman - ULCS Region 102 - #440036
Utility Lines Construction Services, LLC - 102
Date: 09/15/2021 11:30 AM
City: West Columbia, South Carolina
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
We are currently seeking an Underground Groundman to join our Utility Lines Construction Services, Inc. team in the Underground Maintenance and Construction Department.
We offer excellent opportunities for career oriented individuals that want to be a part of our team. Our goal is to provide a safe work environment for all of our employees to perform quality work with our many clients. ULCS employees share in Productivity and Safety Incentive programs. We also offer an excellent compensation package that includes a competitive benefits package, paid holidays, and paid vacation. Flame Retardant clothing is provided for all employees at no cost to them. Various work locations do offer employee payroll deduct programs for work boots and tools for the job.
Our company performs work within the South Eastern Region of the United Stated. Many projects have immediate openings. Our region offices are located in Indian Trail, North Carolina, and Chattanooga, Tennessee. We offer year round employment with a company that values the team approach toward building quality projects. If you are looking for your next career advancement and are a goal oriented person that wants to work for a company that values safety and appreciates good employees, please apply today.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists with setting poles and anchors.
- Assists with installing transformers, lightening arrestors, cutouts, crossarms, insulators, switches and switchgear.
- Troubleshooting trouble in primary and secondary systems.
- Replaces cutout fuses and clears faulted circuits and systems.
- Works with a competent person with energized high voltage systems requiring skill.
- Assist with setting pad mount transformers.
- Working in or around underground manholes and trenches.
- Ensure daily testing and inspection of assigned tools and equipment.
- Maintain company equipment in a safe and efficient manner.
- Obtaining daily job description from Foreperson.
- Ensuring proper equipment and materials are loaded for the job.
- Ensuring equipment and material are used correctly at the job site.
- Enter onto personal/commercial property.
- Ensuring the prints are competed for each specific job and always returning prints to the Foreperson
- Weather permitting, this is a 40 hour per week job.
- Any other duties related to the installation of underground power supply.
- Comply with all safety and health rules.
- Performs work or operates vehicle/equipment only where training and qualification has been provided.
- Demonstrate safe work behavior.
- Stopping work when unsafe acts or conditions are identified.
- Reports all injuries no matter how minor to the Foreperson Immediately.
- Report all incidents and near misses to Foreperson.
- Assuring tools, equipment and vehicles are in safe working order.
- Safely assists with completing the job while performing new construction, maintenance or repair work of energized and de-energized underground work.
- Due to the inherently dangerous nature of the industry and the requirements to work with or around hazardous equipment, employees must be able to maintain attention and concentration for extended periods of time.
- Must have basic knowledge of reading prints/google earth images. (ie. Proper sense of direction).
- Must be able to problem solve with unidentified circumstances with a particular job.
- Must wear approved Fire Retardant clothing.
- Must be able to inspect/wear PPE as necessary
- Must be able to safely drive an approved company vehicle
- Must be able to enter and exit a vehicle numerous times a day
- Must be able to withstand exposure to all kinds of weather while completing work assignments, i.e., rain, heat, sun, cold
- Must be able to traverse various terrains
- Must be able to write, read and comprehend written and verbal job instructions/information.
- Must possess strong communication skills both written and spoken.
- Must be able to communicate and handle confrontations professionally
- Must have transportation to and from the show up location
- Must be able to maintain attention during dangerous tasks.
- Must be able to lift, move and maneuver 50 pounds or more on an frequent basis.
- Must have endurance necessary to perform these duties throughout a standard eight or ten hour day. Must be able to work long hours and overtime during emergencies (including holidays, weekends, etc. Subject to call out work).
- Must have sufficient eyesight to judge distances and coordination to get and use the appropriate equipment and tools.
- Must have some knowledge of installing and removing a service
- Identifying primary and secondary voltage a plus.
- Identity of induced voltage a plus.
- Must have some knowledge of checking voltage on transformers.
- Must have some understanding of a one shot on a recloser.
- Must have some understanding of grounding procedures.
- Must some understanding of flag and tag procedures.
- Identifying different materials used in linework a plus.
- Must have some understanding of Kellum grips.
- Must have some understanding of phasing sticks.
- Must have some understanding of load break tool.
- Must have some understanding of a reconductoring job
- Must be capable of working from heights or in confined spaces.
- Must have some understanding of trenching and shoring.
- Must have some understanding of basic rigging, hand lines, and lineman knot tying.
- Must have some understanding of assisting hooking up a single or three phase transformer.
- Knowledge of how to inspection/use proper cover up is a plus.
- Must have some knowledge of minimum approach distance.
- Capable of bucket rescue a plus.
- Must have some understanding of safely installing and removing a mechanical jumper.
- Ability to climb different structures and possess the tools to do the climb is a plus.
- Ability to operate and service all required tools and equipment is a plus.(i.e., backhoe, boring machine, excavator, trencher)
- Must be willing to travel out of state for emergency storm work.
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment drug screen.
- Must be able to pass a background check.
- CDL driver s license preferred
Range of Motion
Hearing – Speech Range
Sense of Touch
Climbing On/Off Truck
Lifting Up to 10 lbs.
Lifting Over 10 lbs. to 50 lbs.
Lifting Up to 50 lbs.
Meaning of Terms:
- Rarely = less than 10%
- Occasionally = up to 33%
- Frequently = up to 66%
- Continuously = from 67% to 100%
Individuals must be able to perform the essential functions of the position with or without a reasonable accommodation. Individuals with a disability who desire a reasonable accommodation should contact the ADA Coordinator at 1-800-248-8733, ext. 1339.
An Equal Opportunity Employer, including disabled and vets.