Unit Assistant - #440077
Date: 09/15/2021 11:30 AM
City: Tiburon, California
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
This position is responsible for supporting and coordinating the administrative activities of the nursing unit. May be assigned to cover multiple units.
- Processes transfers and discharges using the Admit-Discharge-Transfer (ADT) system in the electronic medical record.
- Answers and appropriately routes internal and external telephone calls.
- Orders materials and supplies for the unit, and collects equipment and medication from the dumb waiter system.
- Answers call system from nurses' station; follows up with patient and/or family as appropriate.
- Makes follow-up appointments for patients as necessary.
- In conjunction with Discharge Coordinator, organizes transfers to skilled nursing facilities, including printing relevant sections of the patient chart.
- Prepares discharge packets and other documents for patients (including maternal/baby).
- Maintains the unit's business equipment, including maintaining appropriately charged wireless carts.
- Arranges for special maintenance or repair of the unit's business equipment.
- Updates the unit's white board (this function may be eliminated).
- Maintains the Minimum Record.
- Assists unit personnel in the use of the electronic medical record and other systems; may act as the unit resource for computer-related issues.
- Acts as greeter for the unit, greeting new patients and their families.
- Coordinates discharge times, contacts family members with discharge information, and otherwise facilitates a timely discharge when the patient is ready.
- Initiates unit's downtime procedures when necessary.
- Communicates with other units/departments.
- May support Environmental Services in the data entry into the ADT system the status of clean and dirty beds.
- May help to facilitate co-pay collections by communicating with the Admitting office when family members are present on the unit, relaying information to Admitting or to the patient/family, etc.
- Assists with other unit duties such as collecting meal trays, taking STAT specimens to the lab, etc.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma/GED.
License, Certification, Registration
- Working knowledge of PCs and the ability to navigate in a Windows environment utilizing a mouse.
- Basic knowledge of office equipment (fax machine, copy machine, scanner).
- Typing 25 wpm.
- Ability to read and comprehend complex instructions, correspondence, and medical record documents in English.
- Ability to write simple correspondence using email.
- Working knowledge of computer applications to include Windows 95/97, 2000 or Windows NT is required.
- Must be willing to work in a Labor Management Partnership environment.
- Also refer to Position Specifications outlined in the appropriate collective bargaining agreement.
- Medical Terminology certificate.
HoursPerWeek : 1
Workdays : Sun, Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat, *Shifts vary based on needs of the unit.
Job Schedule :
Job Type : Standard
Employee Status : Regular
Employee Group/Union Affiliation : A01|SEIU|United Healthworkers
Job Level : Entry Level
Job Category : Clinical Support
Travel : No