RESIDENTIAL OFFICER - #440091
State of Iowa Talent Gateway
Date: 09/15/2021 12:00 PM
City: Mason City, Iowa
Salary: $2,056 - $3,047 / hour
Contract type: Part Time
Work schedule: Full Day
This is a part-time non-merit posting for the Second Judicial District Department of Correctional Services. Applicants should follow the instructions in "To Apply" to be considered.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
Under general supervision, performs paraprofessional tasks in the rehabilitation, control, and security of clients in a community correction facility. Performs related work as required.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS:
- The work involves responsibility for enforcing the in-house rules of a community correction facility.
- The work is performed under the immediate supervision of a Residential Supervision or Manager.
- Assistance may also be provided by a Lead Worker.
- Must have sufficient sight, hearing and communication capabilities to observe and report the actions of offenders, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to communicate with the offender population, criminal justice and related agency staff and other involved parties in individual and group settings.
- Ability to comprehend critical information and make decisions within established policy guidelines, time frames and legal parameters.
- Ability to respond to a situation where one’s life or safety, or the life or safety of another person is in jeopardy consistent with existing policy and training.
- Ability to perform offender/visitor and facility searches in order to maintain the security of the facility.
- Ability to travel to various locations to satisfy job requirements such as furlough and employment checks, transporting offenders, participating in training, etc.
- Ability to utilize available technology in the performance of job duties.
Typically weekend hours, but may also include varying days and shifts; approximately 4 hours per week.
Beje Clark Residential Center Mason City, Iowa
Minimum Qualification Requirements
Two years of college courses;
Any equivalent combination of college education and human services or criminal justice experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to equal the two year minimum;
Graduation from high school or a GED and two years of human services or criminal justice experience.
Additional Qualification Requirements
Must satisfactorily complete required pre-employment testing and a background investigation, including criminal history data.
Barring reasonable accommodation under the American with Disabilities Act, employees must possess or have the ability to obtain a valid driver’s license, and the ability to be insured under the district’s auto insurance coverage.
Must adhere to the use of universal precautions in the performance of job duties in order to minimize the potential risk for exposure to bloodborne pathogens.
May be required to be certified in First Aid and CPR.