Lead Medical Support Assistant (Office Automation) - #440127
Department of Defense
Date: 09/15/2021 12:00 PM
City: West Point, New York
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
About the Position: The U.S. Military Academy, West Point, NY is an academic institution located in the Hudson River Valley, 50 miles from New York City. The historic site is the oldest continuously occupied military post in America. West Point is a self-contained city with housing, a Department of Public Works, libraries, hospital, fire department, chapels, and restaurants. Employees have access to Eisenhower Hall Theater, Hudson Valley's performing arts center, and recreational facilities.
Learn more about this agency
- Serves as a Lead Medical Support Assistant (Office Automation) in the Managed Care Division, Keller Army Community Hospital, West Point, New York.
- Enters, manipulates, and/or retrieves information and data from the Composite Health Care System (CHCS), Automated Call Distribution system and various automated systems as appropriate to area assigned.
- Schedules and coordinates appointments for patients with various clinics, ensuring all treatment requested by the physician has been scheduled, and reschedules appointments when necessary.
- Receives patients via telephone calls, as the initial point of contact, ascertaining the nature of call, obtaining identifying information, and determining the nature and urgency of the patient's request.
- Performs a variety of other support and clerical duties, e.g., compiling data for reports.
25% or less - This position has a Temporary Duty (TDY) or business travel requirement of 5% of the time.
- Job family (Series)
0679 Medical Support Assistance
Conditions of Employment
- Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation.
- This position has a mandatory seasonal influenza vaccination requirement and is subject to annual vaccination.
- This position has a Temporary Duty (TDY) or business travel requirement of 5% of the time.
- Appointment to this position is subject to a two year probationary period unless the appointee has previously met the requirements as described in 5 CFR Part 315.
Who May Apply: Only applicants who meet one of the employment authority categories below are eligible to apply for this job. You will be asked to identify which category or categories you meet, and to provide documents which prove you meet the category or categories you selected. See Proof of Eligibility for an extensive list of document requirements for all employment authorities.
- Current Department of Army Civilian Employees
- Current Permanent Department of Defense (DOD) Civilian Employee (non-Army)
- Domestic Defense Industrial Base/Major Range and Test Facilities Base Civilian Personnel Workforce
- Executive Order (E.O.) 12721
- Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan
- Land Management Workforce Flexibility Act
- Military Spouses, under Executive Order (E.O.) 13473
- Non-Appropriated Fund Instrumentality (NAFI)
- Non-Department of Defense (DoD) Transfer
- People with Disabilities, Schedule A
- Priority Placement Program, DoD Military Spouse Preference (MSP) Eligible
- Veterans Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA) of 1998
- Veterans Recruitment Appointment (VRA)
In order to qualify, you must meet the requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
Specialized Experience: One year of specialized experience which includes: (1) providing administrative support functions in a medical facility; (2) scheduling appointments for patients/customers; (3) inputting and/or retrieving data from automated software programs/systems; and (4) instructing and/or leading others in the performance of assigned tasks/duties. This definition of specialized experience is equivalent to the GS-05 grade level in the Federal service.
PROFICIENCY REQUIREMENTS FOR JOB ANNOUNCEMENT (OFFICE AUTOMATION): This position requires a qualified typist. A qualified typist can type 40 words per minute based on a 5 minute sample with three or fewer errors.
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency in the following areas:
- Health Care Data Entry and Management
- Health Care Facility Administration
- Health Records Management
- Patient-focused Customer Service
Time in Grade Requirement: Applicants who have held a General Schedule (GS) position within the last 52 weeks must have 52 weeks of Federal service at the next lower grade or equivalent (GS-05).
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job, you must meet the qualification requirement using experience alone--no substitution of education for experience is permitted.