Nutrition Education Specialist - #440133
Coconino County, AZ
Date: 09/15/2021 12:30 PM
City: Page, Arizona
Salary: $1,928 / hour
Contract type: Part Time
Work schedule: Full Day
Coconino County promotes a transformational leadership philosophy that elicits employee growth, cultivates inspiration, and creates future leaders by empowering employees to solve internal and external customer needs and exceed customer service expectations. As an award-winning organization with high regard for cultural diversity and the positive contributions of the many thriving cultures within our county, our nation, and our society, Coconino County leads a variety of initiatives that celebrate diversity; from our Annual Diversity Day, and monthly Heritage Lunch & Learns, to book clubs, and professional development academies which target diverse workforce segments. Coconino County's respect for diversity is shared throughout the organization. Be part of this optimistic, innovative team where outstanding customer service creates dynamic solutions and engages leadership at every level.
Under general supervision performs work of moderate difficulty providing food and nutrition services to individuals and families through public health programs; performs related work as assigned.
Please Note: This position is part time, more than 20 hours per week and is located in Page, AZ. This position is grant funded through Women, Infants and Children (WIC) Program. This position is open until filled.
- Uses established guidelines to determine eligibility for public health nutrition programs
- Educates clients on nutrition and breast feeding
- Obtains and evaluates dietary intake and lab results
- Evaluates families for health care, economic, and social needs
- Provides health/nutrition referrals by tracking, providing care plan and outreach
- Conducts group and individual nutrition education
- Maintains documentation of forms to meet federal, state and local regulations
Essential functions include but are not limited to: driving; sitting; working with and around others; repetitive motion (hand/wrist and elbow/shoulder); vision acuity near for computer work and hearing and speech for ordinary conversation. Environmental factors include exposure to bleach and Cavicide for cleaning and sterilization and exposure to blood samples.
One year of experience in nutrition or health related field; OR, any combination of training and experience which demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position.
The ideal candidate is well organized, shows attention to detail and accuracy; has some basic knowledge of the WIC Program; shows a positive attitude and passion for working with Women, Infants and Children; the ability to work as a team; the ability to learn and develop new skills; good working knowledge of computer hardware and software; and excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication, critical thinking, and active listening skills.
Preferred qualifications include a Bachelor's Degree in Nutrition or DTR certification or Associate's degree plus 12 hours of college level nutrition courses; experience using Microsoft Word, Excel; Data entry experience and Bilingual (Spanish, Navajo, or Hopi).
This position is non-exempt from overtime.
This position is safety sensitive.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Working knowledge of:
- Major nutrients, their functions and food sources
- Skill in:
- Lab work consisting of hemoglobin, height and weight
- Data entry
- Ability to:
- Maintain records and charts and prepare reports
- Take and calculate weights and measures
- Work safely and support the culture of workplace safety
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, other agencies and the public
- Follow written and verbal instructions
- Communicate effectively verbally and in writing
Coconino County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.