Construction Code Representative 2 - #440280
State of Minnesota
Date: 09/15/2021 14:00 PM
City: St. Paul, Minnesota
Salary: $66,189 - $98,428 / year
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
Job Class: Construction Code Representative 2
Working Title: Commercial Plans Examiner-Structural Specialist
- Who May Apply: Open to all qualified job seekers
- Date Posted: 09/15/2021
- Closing Date: 09/28/2021
- Hiring Agency/Seniority Unit: Labor & Industry Dept
- Division/Unit: CCLD Plan Review
- Work Shift/Work Hours: Day Shift
- Days of Work: Monday - Friday
- Travel Required: Yes
- Salary Range: $31.70 - $47.14/hourly; $66,189 - $98,428/annually
- Classified Status: Classified
- Bargaining Unit/Union: 214-MAPE
- Connect 700 Program Eligible: Yes
This position exists to administer the state building code by providing plan review and technical assistance on new buildings, additions, and remodeling of buildings owned, funded or licensed by the State of Minnesota, and public school district buildings
- To provide direct assistance, interpretation and training concerning the proper application of the state building codes and the related reference standards to municipal building officials, architects and engineers, construction industry personnel, the general public, counties, local jurisdictions and division associates
- Provide lead direction and technical expertise on structural code developments, code adoption of structural sections and in the delivery of code education on structural topics to clientele.
- Review building construction documents received by the unit to determine substantial compliance with the requirements of Minnesota State Building Code, in general, and specifically structural provisions of Chapters 16 through 23 of the Minnesota Building Code.
- Assist design professionals in the review of preliminary drawings to assure proper application of the state building code requirements
- Provide information and education to clientele regarding state building codes and structural portions of the state building codes
- Participate in and monitor the development of national codes and standards that are adopted by reference into the Minnesota State Building Code
Perform other duties as assigned.
- The position requires one of the following:
- State of Minnesota Engineering license with a specialty in mechanical engineering; OR
- Undergraduate degree or master’s degree in Architectural, Civil, Integrated, Mechanical, or Structural Engineering; OR
- International Code Council (ICC) Certified Building Official Certification, or General Plans Examiner B3 Certification plus one additional ICC Certification PLUS a minimum of three (3) years of experience applying the principles, practices and methods of building structural construction and building codes as demonstrated in building code administration; and review and approval or disapproval of building plans; OR
- Extensive experience working in commercial building structural design.
- Knowledge of state, local and federal regulatory functions in order to correctly address mechanical, refrigeration, fuel gas and related codes affecting regulators and constituents at these levels of government.
- Knowledge of building codes, fire codes, and how to assess hazardous situations
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with department staff, government, industry, and the general public.
- Ability to review plans and reports for relevance, accuracy, correlation and completeness
- Strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Ability to relate and communicate effectively with individuals who do not share the same culture, ethnicity, language, or other common experiences.
- It is the policy of Labor and Industry (DLI) that all employees submit to a driver’s license check prior to employment when driving a vehicle is a requirement of the position. Possession and maintenance of a valid driver’s license is required for this position.
- Thorough Knowledge of Minnesota Rule 1305 Minnesota State Building Code to effectively provide technical interpretation and advice or consultative assistance to clientele.
- Knowledge of the Minnesota Energy Code, Mechanical & Fuel Gas Code, Conservation Code for Existing Buildings, and Minnesota Accessibility Code.
- Thorough knowledge of the safety standards, rules and regulations of the Department.
Why Work For Us
GREAT BENEFITS PACKAGE! The State of Minnesota offers a comprehensive benefits package including low cost medical and dental insurance, employer paid life insurance, short and long term disability, pre-tax flexible spending accounts, retirement plan, tax-deferred compensation, generous vacation and sick leave, and 11 paid holidays each year.
Our differences make us stronger and leveraging them helps us create a workforce where everyone can thrive. The State of Minnesota is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to embedding diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility at our workplace. We do this by developing strong leaders and advocates, increasing cultural competence and understanding among all employees, and removing institutional barriers and attitudes that prevent employees from advancing as far as their talents will take them. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), marital status, familial status, receipt of public assistance, membership or activity in a local human rights commission, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, or age.
How to Apply
Select “Apply for Job” at the top of this page. If you have questions about applying for jobs, contact the job information line at 651-259-3637.
For additional information about the application process, go to http://www.mn.gov/careers.
Effective July 1, 2009, legislation provides that the top five Recently Separated Veterans, who apply and meet the qualifications for the vacancy, must be granted an interview. To be considered a Recently Separated Veteran, you must meet all the following criteria:
- Have separated under honorable conditions from any branch of the armed forces of the United States;
- Have served on active duty for 181 consecutive days or more or for the full period ordered to active duty OR have separated by reason of disability incurred while serving on active duty;
- Be a United States citizen or resident alien;
- Have served in active military service at any time on or after September 11, 2001 as shown on your form DD-214.
To be considered under this legislation, you must meet all of the Minimum Qualifications identified in this posting; meet all of the above RSV criteria; and submit a copy of your DD-214 form by the closing date via mail, e-mail or fax to: Caren Miller 443 Lafayette Road N, St. Paul, MN 55155, or Caren.Miller@state.mn.us.
Effective August 1, 2012, legislation provides state agencies with the option to appoint certain disabled veterans on a non-competitive basis if you meet all of the following criteria:
- Meet service requirements and have a verified service-connected disability rating of at least 30%.
- Provide qualifying documentation verifying the disability.
- Meet all of the Minimum Qualifications identified in this posting.
To be considered under this legislation you must submit all documentation by the closing date via mail, e-mail or fax to: Caren Miller 443 Lafayette Road N, St. Paul, MN 55155, or Caren.Miller@state.mn.us, or fax 651-284-5723.
If you have questions about the position, contact Caren Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org or 651/284-5119.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Minnesota is an equal opportunity, affirmative action, and veteran-friendly employer. We are committed to providing culturally responsive services to all Minnesotans. The State of Minnesota recognizes that a diverse workforce is essential and strongly encourages qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply.
We will make reasonable accommodations to all qualified applicants with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability who needs assistance or cannot access the online job application system, please contact the job information line at 651-259-3637 or email email@example.com. Please indicate what assistance you need.