Offsite Medical Assistant II-Jackson Heights, 37-22 82nd St - #440288
Date: 09/15/2021 14:00 PM
City: Jackson Heights, New York
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
Offsite Medical Assistant II: 955 - Broadway - Jackson Heights - OFFS
Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
The Medical Assistant II provides clinical office support to the supervising physician and performs patient care and administrative duties necessary to deliver quality patient care. May mentor less experienced Medical Assistants and office clerical staff.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Fulfills patient care responsibilities as assigned which may include: checking schedules and organizing patient flow; accompanying patients to exam/procedure room, assisting patients as needed with walking, transferring, dressing, collecting and processing specimens and point of care testing, preparing for exam, etc. Assists physicians with various procedures, takes vital signs, relays instructions to patients and or families; answers calls and provides pertinent information.
- Fulfills clerical responsibilities as assigned which may include: sending and receiving patient medical records; obtaining lab/x-ray reports, hospital notes, referral information, etc. Completing forms and requisitions as needed, managing charts to ensure information is completed and filed appropriately. These responsibilities may be carried out using the electronic medical record (EMR) system or manually as necessary.
- Enters orders into the electronic medical record (EMR) system or prepares prescription refill requests on behalf of the physician for the review and approval by the ordering physician.
- Inventories, orders or re-stocks medical supplies as applicable
- Provides set-up of examination room and instruments in accordance with proper sterilization techniques established by hospital and infection control policies
- Maintains logging system as required for refrigeration of medications, point of care testing, sterilization process, crash cart, point of care testing or others as needed
- Checks expiration dates on all medications and medical supplies disposing appropriately as per institution policy
- Maintains a safe, secure, and healthy work environment by following standards and procedures; complies with legal regulations.
- Complies with established personal protective equipment requirements necessary for protection against exposure to blood and other potentially infections body fluids, chemical disinfectants, radiation and other hazardous substances.
- Assists in the maintenance of medical charts (filing, Op Reports, test results, home care forms).
- May schedule surgeries/procedures or work in conjunction with Surgical Coordinator verifying times with patients; preparing charts, pre-admissions and consent forms.
- May be required to perform proficient phlebotomy duties
- May perform appointment scheduling and registration for patients as well as updating patient demographic and insurance information.
- May maintain, adjust and confirm patient office schedule.
- May check and verify and update insurance information utilizing internal or web sources
- May perform and verify pre-certification for procedures as necessary.
- Mentors less experienced Medical Assistant and office clerical staff.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma/GED.
- Certificate as a Medical Assistant from an approved school or equivalent training and experience
- 2+ years of Medical Assistant experience
- Completion of Medical Assistant/Phlebotomy certificate program
- BLS from American Heart Association
Strength Through Diversity
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity and inclusion is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize healthcare delivery together.
We work hard to recruit and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you have the opportunity and support to develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, have an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Who We Are
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospitals, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai Morningside ( Formerly St Luke’s), and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We comply with applicable Federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate, exclude, or treat people differently on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, religion, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.