Fixture Designer (LSI) - #440337
Astronics Luminescent Systems
Date: 09/15/2021 15:00 PM
City: East Aurora, New York
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
The ideal candidate will have strong design/drafting skills, familiar with drawing standards, and an understanding of electro mechanical assemblies is preferred. Attention to details and interpersonal skills in a team environment is necessary.
Essential duties and responsibilities
This job description does not imply that these are the only duties performed. Employees occupying this position will be required to follow any other related instructions and to perform any other job related duties requested by their supervisor. Furthermore, this does not establish a contract for employment and is subject to change at the discretion of the employer.
- Develop fixture and tooling design concepts to aid the various product lines throughout the facility.
- Work with manufacturing engineering and supervisory personnel to determine potential opportunities for fixturing and tooling.
- Participate in prototype testing/fabricating projects requiring fixtures and tools with design engineering as required.
- Participate in fixture buy-offs as needed when working with external contractors.
- Work with CNC machining and additive technician as needed to follow a fixture build from conception to completion.
- Build fixtures as required.
- Manage tooling requests and control tooling/fixture process.
- Participate in continuous improvement and problem-solving projects.
- Make minor adjustments or changes to fixture designs as required.
- Perform other duties, assignments and special projects as required.
To perform this job successfully, and individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience
- 2-4 years’ experience in a design role and experience in a manufacturing environment preferred.
- Associated degree in Drafting/Design Technology, Mechanical Engineering Technology, Manufacturing Engineering Technology, Industrial Engineering Technology or related field is required.
- Experience and proficiency with 3D modeling software is required (CREO experience is preferred).
- Experience with AutoCAD 2D software is a plus.
- Knowledge of mechanical engineering and drafting principles.
- Must have knowledge of manufacturing processes and capabilities (CNC mills, lathes, lasers, additive, etc.).
- Personal time management must be able to manage multiple tasks / projects effectively.
- Good interpersonal skills and good written & verbal communication skills.
- Good computer skills, with knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel.
Work Authorization/Security Clearance
Due to federal contract obligations, must be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident
Ability and willingness for business travel to suppliers, integrators, industry shows and divisional locations at a minimum.
Able to read, write and comprehend English instructions, correspondence, memos and specifications. Must be able to effectively communicate and be part of a team.
Must be able to effectively communicate instructions to team(s). Must be able to be responsible role model for all employees in the company. Must be willing to be a leader in the area(s)/department(s) and also work in a team environment with peers.
Able to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measurement, common fractions and decimals.
Competently use Microsoft products, have knowledge of material planning system, and general computer skills.
Able to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Possess the ability to identify problems, deal with them, and work towards a solution.
Physical Demands *
While performing the duties of this job the employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to pull handles and push buttons. Requirements may also include climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching or crawling. The employee must occasionally lift and or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and distance vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.