Operations Supervisor - #440396
Date: 09/15/2021 15:30 PM
City: Rock Island, Illinois
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
The Operations Supervisor will effectively direct and manage all activities related to drivers and dockworkers at End of Line facilities. Utilize resources to move freight in the safest and most cost effective manner to meet or exceed customer expectations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop daily delivery plan utilizing equipment, manpower, and other resources to ensure effective and efficient operations and that work assignments are completed properly.
- Supervises all activities of drivers and dockworkers responsible for efficient loading/unloading of trailers along with productive pick-up and delivery of freight at customer locations.
- Ensure necessary resources of labor, equipment and time are available to all employees to allow maximum productivity of operations staff.
- Ensure load quality, timelines, and work efficiency goals are met.
- Recruit, develop and retain qualified personnel to ensure effective operations in support of company's mission and goals. Responsible for the selection, training, motivation and discipline of terminal employees.
- Conduct performance reviews and focus on development and career planning.
- Communicates company safety program, trains, and enforces safety rules and compliance with all government regulations.
- Administer safety programs which encourage a safe work environment and focus on prevention of accidents and injuries.
- Ensure compliance with government, company, and local labor regulations, policies, and procedures.
- High Levels of Integrity and Trust - Adheres to moral, ethical, and professional standards, regulations, and organizational policies; keeps commitments to promised actions.
- Composed in Extreme Pressure Situations - Maintaining stable performance under pressure or opposition (e.g., experiencing time pressure, conflict, or job ambiguity); handling stress in a manner that is acceptable to others and to the organization.
- Prioritizes Key Tasks - Identifies more critical and less critical activities and tasks; adjusts priorities when appropriate.
- Focused on Customers - Ensuring that the internal or external customer's perspective is a driving force behind strategic priorities, business decisions, organizational processes, and individual activities; crafting and implementing service practices that meet customers' and own organization's needs; promoting and operationalizing customer service as a value.
- Effective Planner - Plans work for team and self to create efficiencies.
- Great at Motivating Others - Motivating increased employee effort by communicating a compelling view of the organization's purpose and its future state in a way that helps others understand the importance of their contributions and feel how outcomes will be different when progress is achieved.
- Effective Time Management - Effectively managing one's time and resources to ensure that work is completed efficiently.
- Perseveres Through Difficult Times - Demonstrates an understanding of own emotional triggers, strengths, and development needs as well as the impact of own behavior on others.
- Highly Effective Communication Skills - Conveying information and ideas clearly and concisely to individuals or groups in an engaging manner that helps them understand and retain the message; listening actively to others.
- Skilled Problem Solver - Has operational capacity that allows an understanding and ability to work through the challenges of the position.
- Goal Oriented - ambitious in nature, working to better the team as a whole by exceeding key metrics.
- Delegates Effectively - Identifying and leveraging opportunities to accelerate results and build capability by assigning tasks and decision-making responsibilities to individuals or teams with clear boundaries, expectations, support, and follow-up.
- Develops Subordinates - Planning and supporting the development of individuals' knowledge, skills, and abilities so that they can fulfill current or future job responsibilities more effectively.
- Action Oriented - Ability to learn quickly and apply learning when decisions need to be made and work is being accomplished.
- Competitive pay based on experience
- Employee selected medical, dental, and vision coverage for you and your family
- PTO and paid holidays
- 401k Retirement Plan
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Experience in the transportation industry with a deep knowledge of operations and logistics.
- Effective organizational, planning and prioritization skills.
- Effective verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated Leadership and supervisory capabilities.
- Must be flexible, willing to work any schedule, including weekends and holidays, in all types of weather.
- Bachelor's degree in transportation, business, engineering or related area.
- Knowledge of local applicable collective bargaining agreements.
- Knowledge of company policies and procedures.
- Safety/OSHA knowledge or certifications.
- Forklift certified.
Environmental working conditions vary and employee may encounter vibration, noise, odors, and extremes in temperature and wind as well as exposure to varied weather, varied surfaces, sharp edges, varied lighting and confined and congested areas and occasionally exposure to petroleum-based products such as gasoline, diesel fuel, oil, and grease.
The position requires the ability to stand, walk, and maintain balance for extensive periods of time. Continually speaking and hearing, giving and receiving directions. Occasionally sit. Seldom lift up to 50 lbs. Seldom perform repetitive tasks; stretch, turn, twist, and reach overhead; bend, crouch, squat, kneel and stoop. The ability to operate a forklift and dolly is necessary for loading and unloading customer freight when Combination City Driver/Dock Workers are not available.
Yellow Corporation, along with all subsidiary companies, are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer