Senior Legal Administrative Assistant - #440438
Date: 09/15/2021 16:30 PM
City: Portland, Maine
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
Job Posting End Date: September 30
Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world's leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500 company, Unum's financial protection benefits help protect more than 36 million working people and their families from the financial impact of illness or injury. Unum's three distinct, but similarly focused US businesses – Unum US, Colonial Life, and Starmount Life – are each a market leader in making disability, life, accident, critical illness, dental, and vision insurance accessible in the workplace.
Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum also has significant US operations in Portland, Maine, - and over 35 field offices nationwide. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with over 40 field offices nationwide. Starmount Life is based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and is the dental and vision center of excellence for Unum in the US.
The Legal Sr Administrative Assistant primarily supports the SVP Deputy General Counsel as well as Legal Operation functions and multiple practice areas. This position may also provide high-level, complex administrative and legal support to attorneys and legal professionals. The successful candidate is a self-starter, is proficient with 0ffice 365 and other technologies, applies quick learning, critical thinking and speed to execution. Executive administrative experience as well as a background supporting legal, operations and related experience is preferred.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Proactively manages officers' time, including complex scheduling, travel, and expenses. Understands what is going on in the organization in order to anticipate needs and plan and coordinate meetings and conferences. May also support the same for other legal professionals.
- May act as liaison/represent leaders with internal/external business partners, outside counsel, regulators, vendors and others.
- Manage and distribute hard-copy and digital internal and external mail and communications.
- Provide data and information in preparation for meetings to keep leaders apprised of business issues. May require assembling or preparing reports containing data from several sources as well as taking concepts and creating exhibits that include research and analysis for a variety of presentations to internal and external audiences. May assemble, prepare, research, compile and analyze legal, proprietary and confidential information.
- Manage and support special projects as assigned that may include: coordinating projects, conducting research, compiling reports, monitoring status and providing updates and communications.
- Provide knowledge management support including:
- Intake, organization and filing of legal or regulatory information within document management programs, SharePoint and database management
- Assignment and tracking of activities related to areas of concentration
- Creation, distribution and/or report filing
- Research activities may include insurance regulations, federal and state statutes, insurance industry services and publications, confirming filing fees and procedures
- Review and prepare invoices for submission of payment to external parties or vendors.
- May partner with manager and leaders on preparation of annual budget planning and preparation with ongoing tracking and forecasting review, and research of issues/discrepancies. Reach out to appropriate individuals to gather information that explains variances and issues. Make recommendations for resolution of issues. May authorize payments for various expenses for department.
- Provide support for Legal Operations functions that may include:
- On-site operational, facilities and maintenance support
- Business Resiliency, Budget/Finance/Invoice Processing, Law Technology and other operational support
- Make recommendations for improving efficiency and economy of existing operations
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or Associates/Bachelor's degree
- 6+ years of demonstrated legal, industry and/or executive administrative assistant experience
- Demonstrates in-depth PC skills (Word, Excel, Power Point, and Outlook (including complex calendaring) and an overall aptitude for technology and internet research skills
- Excellent written/verbal communication skills and ability to clearly articulate information
- Ability to develop strong partnerships with all levels of internal management and staff, as well as outside customers and vendors
- Strong customer service skills that exhibit the highest ethical standards at all times
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to multi-task and handle conflicting/competing priorities with a strong attention to detail
- High degree of confidentiality and level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations with diplomacy and tact
- Strong presentation and analytical ability to gather data in an organized and efficient manner and produce reports or presentations
- Demonstrates strong judgment, problem solving and decision-making skills with the ability to juggle multiple and shifting priorities
- Demonstrated project management abilities
Our company is built on helping individuals and families, and this starts with our employees. We want employees to maintain a positive balance, which is why we provide access to the benefits and resources they need to invest in themselves. From our onsite fitness facilities and generous paid time off to employee professional development programs, we are committed to helping employees live and work their best – both inside and outside the office.
Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person's race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.