Education Assistant Specialist - #494901
Northeast Metro 916 Intermediate School District
Date: 10/14/2021 12:00 PM
City: Blaine, Minnesota
Salary: $2,025 / hour
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
- JobID: 2431
- Assists teachers by providing instructional support to students where differentiated/modified instruction is needed; secures the necessary equipment needed within the class to accommodate specialized student needs.
- Assists teachers with overseeing the safety, personal conduct, personal care, and behavior of the students; redirects students engaging in negative or unexpected behavior; documents behaviors; implements behavior support plans and monitors for effectiveness; intervenes when necessary to deescalate students deemed to be in crises.
- Assists with the instruction of student workers by providing guidance in the handling of industry specific tools and machinery, maintaining work areas, and preventing accidents.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.
- High School Diploma or equivalent (G.E.D.); and two years of experience in child education and development.
- Two years of study at an institution of higher education (a minimum of 60 semester credits), an Associate's (or higher) degree, OR passing score on the ParaPro assessment.
- Applicable subject matter(s);
- Assistive learning tools;
- Student support principles
- Recordkeeping principles;
- Applicable local, state and federal laws, rules, and regulations;
- Computer and related software applications.
- Monitoring children in an educational setting;
- Observing and recording student behavior;
- Using assistive learning tools;
- Preparing and maintaining records and reports;
- Applying local, state and federal laws, rules, and regulations;
- Operating a computer and applicable software applications;
- Communication, interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with subordinates, coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. sufficient to exchange or convey information and to receive work direction.
- Positions in this class typically require: climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, seeing, and repetitive motions.
- Heavy Work: Exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 20 pounds of forces constantly to move objects.
Reach with Hands & Arms
Climb or Balance
Stoop/Kneel/Crouch or Crawl
Talk & Hear
Taste & Smell
Lift or Carry Never (0%) Occasionally (1%-33%) Frequently (34%-66%) Continuously (67%-100%)
Up to 10 lbs.
Up to 25 lbs.
Up to 50 lbs.
Up to 100 lbs.
More than 100 lbs. X
Nature of Work:
Special Education programs and services in Northeast Metro 916 are central to the Intermediate District's mission and fully integrated in its structure and decision-making processes. Programs provide special education and related service support to students from early childhood through age 21 with emotional/behavioral disorders, autism spectrum disorders, developmental and cognitive disabilities, deaf and hard of hearing disabilities, and learning disabilities.
Our highly structured, safe learning environments share these characteristics:
- Classrooms of 4-10 students supported by 1-4 trained education assistants.
- Behavior management support, on-site mental health professionals, due process and curriculum support staff.
- In-house collaborative teams can include: audiologists, behavior specialists, deaf/blind specialists and interveners, autism specialists, developmental adaptive physical education teachers, education assistants, health specialists, occupational therapists and assistants, physical/other health disabilities teachers, physical therapists and assistants, school psychologists, school nurses, school social workers, speech/language pathologists, and sign language interpreters.
Commitment to Equity
At Northeast Metro 916, equity means that everyone has access to what they need in order to learn, grow and thrive. To learn more, click here.
Northeast Metro 916 will not discriminate against individuals based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, parental status, status with regard to public assistance, disability, age or sexual orientation.
Special Education Services/Education Assistant Specialist
Karner Blue Education Center (Blaine)
NORTHEAST METRO 916 INTERMEDIATE SCHOOL DISTRICT
Date Posted: October 13, 2021
Position Title: Education Assistant Specialist
Assignment: Karner Blue Education Center
Hours per Day: 7 hours
Schedule: Monday Friday 8:00 A.M. 3:30 P.M. with a 30 minute unpaid lunch
Starting Pay: $20.25 per hour (this position is full-benefit eligible including health, dental, life, and retirement)
Expected Starting Date: ASAP
About Karner Blue Education Center:
Karner Blue Education Center serves students in grades K-8 who have emotional behavioral disorders (EBD), autism spectrum disorders (ASD) and developmental cognitive disabilities (DCD). Environmental supports create a controlled space for students in which to learn, play and relax.
The focus on nature provides a calming atmosphere, and educational philosophies tied to nature build a student's connection to their world. Karner Blue Education Center utilizes the Compassionate School model, which supports both physical and emotional health by helping students build relationships, self-regulate and achieve success in both academic and non-academic areas.
To learn more about the critical role Education Assistant Specialists play in the classroom, click here.
Nature of Work:
Incumbents are responsible for providing instructional and behavioral support to students individually or in small groups, and ensuring a safe and healthy education environment. Responsibilities may include: assisting teachers with modifying curriculum, class activities or materials; providing instructional support in various disciplines and facilitating social skills; monitoring students' behavior to ensure a safe and healthy environment; de-escalating student issues; providing physical care; and maintaining and preparing routine records and reports.
Typical Class Responsibilities:
Training and Experience Requirements:
Job Requirements Never (0%) Occasionally (1%-33%) Frequently (34%-66%) Continuously (67%-100%)