Retail Buyer- AspenX - #494919
Aspen Skiing Company
Date: 10/14/2021 12:01 PM
City: Aspen, Colorado
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
The city of Aspen at our front door, Aspen Mountain at our back door. And in between, a gathering place for the free-spirited. We're proud of our 5 Stars and 5 Diamonds -- hospitality is our passion. From our kitchens to our cellars, with their 20,000 bottles of wine, from the Concierges in our lobby to the Concierges on our mountains, and from family adventure to après ski, this hotel is, guests have said, "the Aspen of Aspen."
The Retail Buyer is responsible for developing, communicating and implementing the seasonal merchandise assortment and buying strategy for select categories within our retail channel. The Retail Buyer is strong in balancing new, brand-forward styles with important volume-driving styles and is responsible for compelling localized assortments that reflect the brand while creating an exceptional regional customer experience. Space allocation, sales productivity, analytical skills, design aesthetic, and organizational skills are all important for you to be successful.
Essential Job Functions
• Have a thorough understanding of the industry, seasonality and business trends/events, and continually monitor competitor/industry developments.
• Curate inspiring store product assortments that align to our customer profiles.
• Responsible for revenue, margin, inventory, receipt flow, and product availability for designated brand/category mix, demonstrates an ability to interpret and react to selling trends.
• Attend industry trade shows, line showings, and demo days.
• Secure favorable discount/terms, pricing and promotional policies, work through PO compliance and issues management.
• Responsible for setting up products in system and submitting purchase orders to vendors in a timely manner to ensure best discounts and product availability.
• Work with Managing Director to set in-Season pricing strategy and end of season sale pricing.
• Works with Managing Director and Planning team to establish PO Receipt Flow, set in season sell-through targets, pricing strategy for slow movers, manage Return to Vendor (RTV) and mark-down dollar requests with vendor, and ensures inventory management strategy aligned with company-wide financial goals.
• Assist in final merchandising of stores for respective categories.
• Assist with employee product sales trainings for respective product categories
• Know the pulse of the luxury market and our competitors (both in and outside our industry).
• Ensure that localized assortments meet or exceed customer expectations and drive results through the financial and inventory plans.
• Understand ASPENX’s, LL and TLN market share and price point strategies.
• Perform all other duties as assigned.
• Identify products and vendors. Develop, evaluate and negotiate terms (price, quantity, delivery/ payment terms) for new and existing products to maximize demand and margin.
• Identify and implement opportunities to increase demand and margin
The budgeted salary range for this position starts at $55,593. Actual pay will be dependent on budget and experience, all our salaried roles are eligible for bonus.
• Minimum 5+ years buying experience
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
• Ability to negotiate with vendors/suppliers
• Excellent verbal and written communications skills
• Exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to build strong relationships and partnerships
• Strong leadership, teamwork and interpersonal skills
• Entrepreneurial attitude, agility and resourcefulness
• High School Diploma or Equivalent preferred
• Proficient in: Microsoft Excel, Google Office Suite, knowledge of pos systems, inventory management systems
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively
Supervision Given and Received
Supervision given: Exercises direct supervision over assigned staff. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, frequent and detailed review of work, training, planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Supervision received: Works under general supervision of the Hospitality Retail Manager. Receives continuing or individual assignments according to supervisor’s directions and may perform routine tasks. Expectations of the quality, quantity and deadlines are clearly set. Instructions, advice and assistance available as needed. Work is reviewed on demand or during scheduled check-ins.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Ability to stand, walk or be on your feet for extended periods of time. Kneeling and bending may be required. Regularly work indoors with no adverse conditions. Some positions require exposure to outdoor elements or a combination of both indoors and outdoors and may be required to walk on slippery and uneven surfaces
Must be able to lift, push or pull up to 50 lbs. individually or with assistance
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job description is designed to indicate the general nature and level of work. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Duties and responsibilities may change at any time with or without notice.
Aspen Skiing Company / The Little Nell / Limelight Hotel is an equal opportunity employer.
For an overview of Aspen Skiing Company's benefits and other compensation visit aspensnowmass.com/jobs/benefits
As of November 15 2021, Aspen Skiing Company, The Little Nell, and The Limelight Hotels will require all active employees to be fully vaccinated in the workplace. Read more about this policy via our employee safety page here