Corporate Counsel, EHS and Real Estate Law - #495244
Date: 10/14/2021 14:30 PM
City: Falls Church, Virginia
Salary: $188,300 - $270,000 / year
Contract type: Part Time
Work schedule: Full Day
Requisition ID: R10010762
- Category: Legal and Regulatory
- Location: Falls Church - VA, United States of America
- Citizenship Required: United States Citizenship
- Clearance Type: None
- Telecommute: Yes- May Consider Occasional/Part-Time Teleworking for this position
- Shift: 1st Shift (United States of America)
- Travel Required: Yes, 10% of the Time
- Positions Available: 1
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation's history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Overall Job Description
- Legal and Strategic Advisor. Counsel will provide thoughtful, practical, innovative and timely advice on a wide range of federal, state and local environmental, health and safety (EHS) legal issues and related business initiatives; identify and anticipate opportunities and challenges and develop practical solutions that mitigate potential EHS risks; and defend the company when EHS issues and disputes arise.
- Partner and Collaborator. Counsel will partner and collaborate closely with the EHS legal team and broader law department, and with company leadership and many functional and business stakeholders at all levels across the company in the U.S. and internationally (e.g., EHS, real estate, facilities, business operations, communications, government relations, etc.).
Specific Substantive Job Responsibilities / Required Skills
- Environmental Remediation. Counsel will have experience providing legal and strategic advice on a wide range of environmental remediation projects, with an emphasis on U.S.-based remediation projects.
- Environmental Compliance. Counsel will have experience advising on a wide range of federal, state and local environmental regulatory requirements and developments (under RCRA, EPCRA, Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act, TSCA, etc.); and identifying opportunities and developing practical solutions to enhance the company’s environmental compliance program and mitigate potential risks.
- Occupational Health and Safety Compliance. Counsel will have experience counseling on a wide range of federal, state and local health and safety requirements and developments, including with respect to COVID-19; and identifying opportunities and developing practical solutions to enhance the company’s health and safety compliance program and mitigate potential risks.
- EHS Noncompliance/Defense. Counsel will have experience investigating and responding to federal, state and local EHS regulatory agency demands, citations and inquiries; and developing strategies that mitigate the company’s potential risks.
- Environmental Sustainability. Counsel will have experience providing legal and strategic advice on environmental sustainability goals and reporting.
- Real Estate and Business Transactions. Counsel will have experience counseling and developing creative approaches to address environmental issues in real estate and business acquisitions and dispositions.
- Third-Party Claims. Counsel will have experience advising and supporting EHS claims, disputes, litigation, mediation and arbitration.
Other Qualifications and Requirements
- Counsel will have exceptional integrity and outstanding strategic and holistic analytical skills and judgment.
- Counsel will have the ability to effectively collaborate with and promote and contribute to a team environment that encourages and supports inclusion to drive innovation and reach the best solutions to complex problems.
- Counsel will have excellent verbal and written communications skills, including the ability to communicate effectively with diverse individuals at all levels and areas within the organization, from company management to front-line EHS professionals and managers.
- Counsel will have the ability to self-motivate, take initiative, work under minimal supervision, but know when to coordinate with management, and learn new substantive areas within and beyond EHS law.
- Counsel will have a law Degree from an ABA accredited law school and active bar membership.
- Counsel will be a member of the State Bar in Virginia, capable of being licensed through testing or comity, or, in lieu of licensure, capable of registering as an in-house counsel in accordance with the rules of the applicable State Bar of Virginia.
- Counsel will have 8 or more years of EHS experience at in-house legal department(s), government service, and/or law firm group specializing in EHS law.
This position reports to Northrop Grumman’s Assistant General Counsel – EHS and Real Estate Law and will be located in the Northrop Grumman Corporate Office in Falls Church, VA.
Salary Range: 188300 - 270000
Employees may be eligible for a discretionary bonus in addition to base pay. Annual bonuses are designed to reward individual contributions as well as allow employees to share in company results. Employees in Vice President or Director positions may be eligible for Long Term Incentives. In addition, Northrop Grumman provides a variety of benefits including health insurance coverage, life and disability insurance, savings plan, Company paid holidays and paid time off (PTO) for vacation and/or personal business.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit http://www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.