Medical Laboratory Technician/Medical Laboratory Scientist - #495368
Texas Health Resources
Date: 10/14/2021 15:01 PM
City: Azle, Texas
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
Medical Laboratory Technician/Medical Laboratory Scientist
Are you looking for a rewarding career with family-friendly hours and top-notch benefits? We are looking for a qualified Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT) or a Medical Laboratory Scientist (MLS) like you to join our Texas Health family.
- Work location: 108 Denver Trail Azle, TX 76020
- Work environment: Laboratory
- Work hours: Thursday 10pm – 6am; Friday – Saturday 6pm – 6am
- Salary range: MLS range $26.69 – $39.50 per hour
Texas Health Harris Methodist Hospital Azle is a community-based hospital serving the suburban areas of Azle, Lake Worth, Springtown and the surrounding areas. Located about 20 miles northwest of downtown Fort Worth, Texas Health Azle provides numerous services, including emergency medicine, surgical care, cardiology, wound care, pain management, radiology, rehabilitation services and an adult intensive care unit
Texas Health Azle is a Level IV trauma center, accredited in Chest Pain Management with distinction by the Joint Commission, and a 2013 National 100 Top Hospital by Truven Health Analytics, which makes our facility intensely qualified to serve our community and your professional aspirations.
- Associate degree required within 3 months of hire. Medical Technology, Clinical Lab Science or Chemical, Physical or Biological science preferred Or
- Education equivalent to an Associate’s degree in a laboratory science or medical technology required (Must include at least 60 hours or equivalent from an accredited institution that include at a minimum either 24 semester hours of medical laboratory technology courses or 24 semester hours of science courses that include at least 6 semester hours of chemistry, 6 semester hours of biology and 12 semester hours of chemistry, biology or medical laboratory technology in any combination.
- Bachelor’s Degree for an MLS (or attained within 3 months of hire date)
- Bachelor’s Degree required within 3 months of hire.
- Medical Technology, Applied Technology, Clinical Lab Science or Chemical, Physical or Biological Science preferred.
- Individuals hired as a CLS II prior to January 3, 2010 will be grandfathered to the MLS position with existing education.
- Internship in an approved Medical Technician training program required.
- 2 years’ experience in a Medical Laboratory preferred.
Licenses and Certifications:
- MLS (ASCP), MT (ASCP), MLT (ASCP) required within 90 days from hire Or
- AMT, AAB, HHS, NCA, HEW, CLS- CA, FL, NY state license, Philippine Board of Technical Technology required upon hire Or
- M (ASCP) – Microbiology if working in Microbiology required upon hire Or
- BB (ASCP) – Blood Banking if working in Blood Bank required upon hire
- MLS (ASCP), MT (ACSP), MLT (ASCP) preferred
- Strong positive interpersonal skills
- Ability to read, write and speak English clearly
- Problem solving ability, time management skills
- Possess organizational skills to function successfully in a fast-paced work environment.
- Computer literate.
- Specimen integrity is recognized by evaluating and solving problems related to collection and/or processing of specimens.
- Specimen conditions are identified that adversely affect test results.
- Maintains specimen integrity throughout the testing process
- Facilitates workflow process.
- Checks outstanding tests list in a timely manner.
- Troubleshoots and follows through on outstanding tests which appear to have not been collected/received when expected.
- Knows and uses computer downtime procedures as needed when computer is not available.
- Gives proper notification when supplies need to be ordered.
- Utilizes time between testing to accomplish other needed tasks. (evaluation of kits, preparing controls, supply management, housekeeping duties, etc.)
- Performs tasks in a manner that enhances the quality of care.
- Helps other hospital and laboratory coworkers to provide timely patient care.
- Demonstrates active cost effectiveness.
- Participates in orientation and training of students, volunteers, new employees and observers.
- May be responsible for ongoing competency assessment for employees.
- Maintains commitment to profession by attending continuing education sessions (ex. Web seminars, ASCP seminars, Tarleton and Lab sponsored seminars by industry).
- Completes mandatory hospital/laboratory education and departmental competencies within required time frame.
- Mandatory health requirements are completed with required time frame.
- Completes assigned work within required time and offers assistance to other coworkers.
- Uses laboratory equipment (computer, instruments, etc.) for hospital use only.
- Time and attendance is satisfactory.
- Employee exhibits a professional appearance.
- Seeks assistance/supervision/consultation as needed and reports to supervisor any problems and/or solution regarding delivery of patient care.
- Interacts professionally and pleasantly with all encountered and promotes customer satisfaction.
- Adhere to the THR Promise Behaviors.
- Follows established laboratory test procedures, including using proper computer protocol.
- Evaluates and reports test results.
- Communicates and documents relevant patient data to appropriate personnel.
- Relays information to next shift and coworkers (ex. instrument malfunctions, unusual patient results, testing problems).
- Gives direction and guidance to technical staff and laboratory support personnel.
- Demonstrates understanding of quality control guidelines.
- Follows Laboratory policies when quality control is not within established limits.
- Resolves quality control discrepancies before releasing/reporting patient results.
- Documents and review QC and ensure corrective action when appropriate.
- Performs and documents laboratory equipment maintenance protocols within established time limits.
- Demonstrates knowledge to troubleshoot equipment.
- Follow laboratory protocol for proficiency testing.
- Incorporates safety/infection control measures into work practices.
- Follows HIPAA guidelines.
- Demonstrates knowledge of and follows all hospital and Lab safety/infection control policies and procedures.
- Participates in required hospital/laboratory safety drills.
- Utilizes the event reporting tool to document and report patient situations, on-the–job injuries, and medical device Malfunctioning.
Why Texas Health? As a Texas Health Medical Laboratory Scientist or Medical Laboratory Technician, you’ll enjoy top-notch benefits including 401(k) with match, paid time off, competitive health insurance choices, healthcare and dependent care spending account options, wellness programs to keep you and your family healthy, tuition reimbursement, a student loan repayment program and more.
At Texas Health, our people make this a great place to work every day. Our inclusive, supportive, people-first, excellence-driven culture make Texas Health Fort Worth a great place to work
Here are a few of our recent awards:
- 2021 FORTUNE Magazine’s “100 Best Companies to Work For®” (7th year in a row)
- Becker's Healthcare "150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare" (4 years running)
- “America’s Best Employers for Diversity” list by Forbes
- A “100 Best Workplaces for Millennials" by Fortune and Great Place to Work®
Additional perks of being a Medical Laboratory Scientist or Medical Laboratory Technician:
- Gain a sense of accomplishment by contributing in a teamwork environment.
- Receive excellent mentorship, comprehensive training and dedicated leadership resources.
- Enjoy opportunities for growth.
Explore our Texas Health careers site for info like Benefits, Job Listings by Category, recent Awards we’ve won and more
Do you still have questions or concerns? Feel free to email your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.