Liability Specialist - #495488
The Travelers Companies, Inc.
Date: 10/14/2021 16:01 PM
City: Alpharetta, Georgia
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That’s the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description Summary
Reports to the Technical Director or AVP with general direction. Responsible for the ownership of the General Liability and Product Liability Technical Disciplines for the assigned region as a technical resource to Risk Control Consultants and underwriters, primarily for assessing and consulting on risks related to challenging operations and products. Requires practiced research skills, presentation skills for virtual or on-site training, developing technical resources for staff and customers, mentoring staff in the region, staying abreast of emerging issues, identifying skill gaps and training needs for Risk Control staff, and working independently.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Deliver specialist level service in area of technical expertise (eg: risk evaluation, management consulting, strategy development, training) to meet needs of underwriting or customer.
- Serve as a mentor and technical resource to Risk Control field organizations and internal business partners.
- Collaborate in technical development of Risk Control staff in partnership with field management on areas of technical expertise. Conducts co-surveys with and performs quality assessments on work of field staff. Help build learning strategies and Individual Development Plans for field staff.
- Consult with clients and business partners on ways to control hazards in order to reduce or prevent losses.
- May act as liaison to business partners on emerging issues or specific classes of risk.
- Understand and apply practical, collaborative consulting concepts in helping clients develop ongoing programs for continuous safety improvement.
- Document findings and recommendations to internal business partners and/or clients. Influence clients to implement recommendations.
- Maintain current knowledge of regulatory environment and emerging issues in the specialty.
- Maintain timely, relevant communications with Technical Unit Manager, Regional Managers and Risk Control staff.
- Develop technical content for internal and external use in specialty area. Can deliver training in technical area for live or virtual audience.
- Eight years in area of specialty (i.e., Inland Marine, Industrial Hygiene, Construction, etc.) required.
- Valid driver’s license required.
- Must be able to attain appropriate certification to meet state specific requirements where applicable.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Undergraduate degree in environmental health and safety, engineering, sciences or related technical fields preferred. Relevant experience in consulting or industry will be considered.
Licensing or Certificates
- As needed for discipline.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Business Knowledge:
- Understanding of Commercial Lines insurance products, services, and risk selection practices preferred.
- Willing to meet and understand Risk Control performance standards, policies and procedures.
- Technical Expertise:
- Demonstrated expertise/command in specialty and ability to maintain up to date knowledge.
- Makes complex technical information and recommendations understandable and clear to audiences with varied levels of technical knowledge.
- Can acquire working knowledge of relevant Risk Control computer systems applications.
- Maintains relevant professional designation.
- Customer Service:
- Balances customer expectations and expense constraints.
- Builds credibility with internal and external customers.
- Creates customer satisfaction by demonstrating the value of Risk Control services.
- Strong written communication skills.
- Resource Management:
- Continually assesses workload in light of business priorities; directs own efforts.
- Influences others to take action on recommendations.
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
- Travel Requirements: Travel Frequently
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.
Experience : 0