Maintenance Helper (Plumbing) - #495608
Stony Brook Medicine
Date: 10/14/2021 17:00 PM
City: Cherry Grove, New York
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
Maintenance Helper (Plumbing)
At Stony Brook Medicine, our Maintenance Helpers assist skilled and semiskilled trades positions by performing a variety of relatively unskilled tasks while learning a trade
Qualified candidates should demonstrate excellent intrapersonal skills and time management skills. They should have attention to detail and be able to work with all levels of the organization
Duties of a Maintenance Helper may include the following but are not limited to:
- On assignment to the metal working and plumbing trades assists by carrying and holding construction materials and tools; threading and connecting pipe as directed; unplugging stoppages; replacing faucet washers; cutting sheet metal and soldering; carrying and placing heavy items and cleaning shop and work areas after work is performed
- Assists skilled and semiskilled trades positions in building and structure maintenance and construction performing the heavier and less skilled work such as lifting and placing timbers; mixing mortar and plaster; erecting ladders and scaffolds; cleaning gutters and eaves; removing materials preparatory to repair or construction; preparing surfaces and spreading paint; carrying bricks and mortar; digging ditches; operating jack hammer pumps, light trucks and other power equipment; cleans shop and cleans up after repair work
- As assigned, may perform such less difficult and repetitive production activities such as making mattresses by cutting and covering plastic or rubber foam materials to size, cutting and installing window shades, and assembling new furniture delivered disassembled
- When assigned to automotive and mechanical maintenance, assists skilled and semiskilled mechanics by changing and repairing tires; assembling and disassembling automotive equipment and other machinery as directed; assisting in lifting and positioning heavy parts and assemblies; cleaning parts; washing and polishing vehicles; lubricating vehicles; changing batteries; operating steam cleaners; scraping rust from and painting equipment; and as assigned may be responsible for the storage of lubricants tires and batteries
- On assignment to the electrical trades assists Electricians and Maintenance Men (Electrician) in electrical work by performing such tasks as assisting on new installations by loading and unloading materials and tools; nailing, tightening bolts, driving screws, fishing cable and other manual tasks as directed; disassembling motors and appliances and cleaning parts as directed; learning to test parts for operational failure and to reassemble them; inspecting and lubricating motors and other electrical and related installations and reporting on their operating condition; changing light bulbs and tubes; replacing fuses and simple components of domestic systems such as switches
Required: Ability to understand and carry out written and oral instructions. Ability to use a variety of hand and power tools and motorized equipment. Ability to perform moderate to heavy manual labor
When required to operate motor vehicles, candidates must possess a valid New York State Driver's License appropriate for the type of vehicle operated
Preferred Qualifications: Previous experience working in a hospital setting and/or in the hospital industry. Possess excellent intrapersonal skills, time management skills, have attention to detail and be able to work with all levels of the organization.
Special Notes: Resume/CV and cover letter should be included with the online application.
In accordance with the New York State Department of Health (DOH) order that all hospitals and nursing homes “continuously require all covered personnel to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.” Upon acceptance of a conditional job offer, candidates who are not already vaccinated must obtain the first dose of the vaccine within three (3) calendar days of job offer and must obtain any subsequent doses in accordance with the vaccine protocol. The order allows for limited medical exemptions with reasonable accommodations, consistent with applicable law.
Posting Overview: This position will remain posted until filled or for a maximum of 90 days. An initial review of all applicants will occur two weeks from the posting date. Candidates are advised on the application that for full consideration, applications must be received before the initial review date (which is within two weeks of the posting date)
If within the initial review no candidate was selected to fill the position posted, additional applications will be considered for the posted position; however, the posting will close once a finalist is identified, and at minimal, two weeks after the initial posting date. Please note, that if no candidate were identified and hired within 90 days from initial posting, the posting would close for review, and possibly reposted at a later date
- Stony Brook Medicine is a smoke free environment. Smoking is strictly prohibited anywhere on campus, including parking lots and outdoor areas on the premises.
- All Hospital positions maybe subject to changes in pass days and shifts as necessary.
- This position may require the wearing of respiratory protection, which may prohibit the wearing of facial hair.
- This function/position maybe designated as “essential.” This means that when the Hospital is faced with an institutional emergency, employees in such positions may be required to remain at their work location or to report to work to protect, recover, and continue operations at Stony Brook Medicine, Stony Brook University Hospital and related facilities.
Prior to start date, the selected candidate must meet the following requirements:
- Successfully complete pre-employment physical examination and obtain medical clearance from Stony Brook Medicine's Employee Health Services*
- Complete electronic reference check with a minimum of three (3) professional references.
- Successfully complete a 5 panel drug screen*
- Successfully complete a Background Check investigation.
- Provide a copy of any required New York State license(s)/certificate(s).
Failure to comply with any of the above requirements could result in a delayed start date and/or revocation of the employment offer.
- The hiring department will be responsible for any fee incurred for examination.
Stony Brook University is committed to excellence in diversity and the creation of an inclusive learning, and working environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, familial status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status and all other protected classes under federal or state laws
If you need a disability-related accommodation, please call the University Office of Equity and Access at (631)632-6280.
In accordance with the Title II Crime Awareness and Security Act a copy of our crime statistics can be viewed here.
Visit our WHY WORK HERE page to learn about the total rewards we offer.
Job Number: 2103812
Official Job Title: Facility Operations Assistant 1
Job Field: Other
Primary Location: US-NY-Stony Brook
Department/Hiring Area: Hospital Building - Plumbing
Schedule: Full-time Shift :Day Shift Shift Hours: 7:00am-3:30pm Pass Days: Sat, Sun
Posting Start Date: Oct 14, 2021
Posting End Date: Oct 28, 2021, 10:59:00 PM
Salary:As per civil service guidelines