Maintenance Worker - Landscaping & Forestry Crew - #495617
City of Gaithersburg
Date: 10/14/2021 17:01 PM
City: Gaithersburg, Maryland
Salary: $35,525 - $66,713 / year
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
Are you looking for a secure job with great pay and excellent benefits? Do you like physical work in an outdoor environment? Would you like to find a career, not just a job? You’ve come to the right place! We have several immediate openings for Maintenance Workers on our Landscaping & Forestry crew in the Gaithersburg Department of Public Works.
40 hours per week; 7 a.m. to 3 p.m., Monday through Friday. Some evening, weekend, and holiday work may be required. Starting salary is negotiable within the salary range, depending on knowledge, qualifications, training, certifications, experience, and skills proficiency, but will be at or close to the minimum of the salary range for entry level candidates. This position is eligible for overtime compensation. We provide top-notch insurance benefits (medical, dental, vision, long-term care, life), paid time off, generous retirement contributions, tools to assist with paying down student loan debt and managing student loans, and training and development opportunities.
As a Maintenance Worker on the Landscaping & Forestry crew, you will assist in maintaining more than 91 properties, placing over 800 yards of mulch, planting 150 trees, and trimming more than 2,500 trees each year. You will be joining a hard-working and collaborative team committed to creating, building, and maintaining streetscapes, landscaped medians, and other public facility landscapes for the use and enjoyment of our citizens and visitors to our community.
A job in the Public Works Department brings plenty of opportunities! We invest in our employees and encourage and reward employee growth and development through the Public Works professional career path plan, which provides our employees with the opportunity to advance and be compensated in accordance with proficiency in demonstrated skills without having to wait for a specific promotional opportunity. The City is committed to providing you with the training and support you need to successfully move up each level of our skills matrix at the pace you choose. We want to retain our employees for long-term growth!
Entry level Maintenance Workers must have some previous related experience in manual work. If hired, you must successfully obtain your Class A Commercial Driver's License (CDL) learner's permit within 6 months of hire and your Class A CDL with Tanker Endorsement ("N") within 12 months of hire. If you possess a valid Class A CDL with Tanker Endorsement ("N") at the time of hire, and/or can demonstrate proficiency in meeting required skill levels, you may be eligible to be hired above the entry level ($35,525).
What you will do with us:
- Plant, maintain, and water trees, shrubs, and flowers.
- Median beautification.
- Weed and litter control; mulching and edging.
- Prune, maintain, and remove trees; clear trees or landscaped areas after storm or accident damage.
- Traffic control at maintenance sites.
- Assist with snow removal and ice control and with special projects as needed.
Key responsibilities are outlined above; please click here to view the classification description for the Maintenance Worker I position.
What you will need to be considered:
- Be hard-working, dependable, responsible, punctual, and safety conscious.
- Ability to deliver excellent customer service with a positive attitude.
- Be able to work cooperatively with others and contribute to a successful team effort.
- Be able to perform moderate to heavy manual labor over extended periods of time, possibly under adverse weather conditions.
- Have the ability to operate maintenance and repair equipment and tools in a manner consistent with safety procedures.
- Be able to understand and carry out specific oral instructions.
- Be at least 18 years of age; high school diploma or equivalent (GED) desirable.
- Have some experience (6 to 12 months) performing routine landscape or related maintenance or construction work, including manual labor experience involving the use of hand tools and portable power tools (desirable).
- Have the ability to read, write, speak, and understand English to follow safety precautions and work procedures.
- Have a valid driver's license and a good driving record.
- Ability to work weekends, holidays, and overtime when required.
- Or any acceptable equivalent combination of education, experience, and training that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Interested applicants must submit an online application to be considered. Please fill out the application completely; resume or other supporting materials will not be accepted in lieu of a completed online application.
Review of applications will begin immediately and positions will remain open until filled. Please submit your application promptly; recruitment will close without notice when a sufficient number of qualified applications are received or all hiring decisions have been made.
Successful candidates will be subject to a criminal background investigation and pre-employment medical examination including drug/alcohol screening. The City has established an alcohol-free, drug-free, and smoke-free workplace which applies to any person employed by, conducting business with, or applying for a position with the City. Each employee, as a condition of their employment, may be required to participate in pre-employment and reasonable suspicion testing. Employees classified as safety sensitive are also subject to immediate post accident and random testing.
Upon hire, successful candidates must complete a confidential form indicating COVID-19 vaccination status. Information collected on this form will only be used by management to inform decisions related to protecting the health and safety of City employees and the public we serve.
Direct deposit of paychecks is a condition of employment for all City of Gaithersburg employees.
For more information about the position, contact the Department of Public Works at 301.258.6370 or email@example.com Questions regarding the online application process may be directed to the Department of Human Resources at 301.258.6327 or firstname.lastname@example.org
This recruitment will establish an eligibility list which will be used to fill the current vacancy and may be used to fill other openings in this classification which occur in the next 12 months.