Research Farm Technician - #495644
Smithfield Foods, Inc.
Date: 10/14/2021 17:01 PM
City: Milford, Utah
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
Assists technical support specialist in the implementation of various research protocols. Tasks include, but not limited to handling and weighing pigs of all sizes, sample collection, work directly with production staff, maintenance of research equipment, data entry and maintain data integrity. Support the Mission of Smithfield Hog Production by providing for the care of all animals at any company facility, particularly their health, growth, and breeding.
- Follow the safety requirements of the Smithfield Injury Prevention System (SIPS).
- Learn, understand and implement all policies and procedures that relate to Bio-security.
- Abide by all company policies, procedures and guidelines as directed by supervisor.
- Flexibility with a willingness to change plans according to the direction of supervisor
- Work as a team player by accomplishing daily data collection tasks and requirements to accomplish department goals.
- Accurate data entry in Microsoft Excel
- Quality check data integrity in Microsoft Excel
- Assist in moving animals of various sizes.
- Wash and properly store all research equipment after daily use.
- Monitor equipment and supply inventory
- Assist with data recording using either electronic data equipment or handwritten
- Responsible for daily tasks: pen counts, feeding using an automated feed system, maintenance of equipment, data entry, quality checking data, and monitoring pig health.
- Communicate daily with production farm staff on data collection requirements
- Follow the Standard Operating Procedures, Production Manuals, or Appropriate Training Guides as required.
- Assist with maintaining barn, office cleanliness, and laundry duties.
- Follow the Company's animal welfare policies and procedures including: providing a physical environment that meets the animal's needs, providing access to adequate water and high-quality feed, providing humane treatment of the animals, providing identification and appropriate treatment of animals in need of health care and following the guidelines for euthanasia.
- Responsible for complying with all environmental laws and procedures.
- Report all environmental issues immediately to their supervisor.
- Read and understand the company's emergency notification process and how it applies to their specific worksite.
- Responsible for understanding all safety requirements of the job and for performing the job in compliance with the safety requirements.
- All other duties as assigned necessary for the care of in the swine and/or the swine facility.
- Use of Personal Protective Equipment
- Lockout/Tagout, Affected/Awareness Level
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited 4-year college or univesity in an Agricultural field or equivalent in practical work experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience, required.
- Advanced computer skills with experience using Microsoft Excel and Word
- Previous livestock experience
- Team leadership skills
- Previous research experience a plus
- Strong commitment to team
- Willingness to shower daily in and out of facility
- Ability to record and enter data accurately
- Must be able to work an average 48-hour week, which can vary frequently
- Weekend, evening, and holiday work required as needed
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee should possess to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to frequently climb over, under, and around penning.
- Must be able to walk and stand on concrete for 9 to 12 hours per day, walking down narrow alleys and in and out of narrow penning.
- Must be able to walk an average of 2 – 4 miles per day, occasionally up to 5 or 6.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs on a limited basis.
- Must be able to occasionally work in situations two feet above the floor in a leaned-over or squatted position.
- Must be supportive of the mission of raising swine for human consumption of high-quality pork products.
- Must be able to work in laboratory setting with equipment: oven, centrifuge, blender, etc. and abide by all laboratory safety policies
- Must be able to tolerate and willing to learn and perform the following tasks: euthanasia, castration, vaccinations, piglet processing, ear tagging for identification, taking blood samples and other procedures normal to animal husbandry.
- Must be able to work with and around a wide range of antibiotics (i.e. penicillin).
- Must be able to tolerate blood, animal dander, manure, dust, odors, and frequently noisy conditions.
Careers and Benefits
To learn more about Smithfield's benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits.
More than 63,000 employees globally drive our success. We strive to create a fair, ethical and rewarding work environment.
GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT
Working at Smithfield isn't just a job – it's the foundation for a lifelong career with training designed to help you advance professionally.
Our people matter. That's why we offer excellent, comprehensive benefits packages to our full-time employees.
Sustainability is ingrained in our culture and guides how we operate. We believe in innovating for the future.
About Smithfield Foods
Headquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, Smithfield Foods, Inc. is an American food company with agricultural roots and a global reach. Our 43,000 U.S. team members and 16,000 European employees are dedicated to producing "Good food. Responsibly.®" and have made us one of the world's leading vertically integrated protein companies. We have pioneered sustainability standards for more than two decades, including our industry-leading commitments to become carbon negative in U.S. company-owned operations and reduce GHG emissions 30 percent across our entire U.S. value chain by 2030. We believe in the power of protein to end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of millions of food servings to our neighbors in need. Smithfield boasts a portfolio of high-quality iconic brands, such as Smithfield®, Eckrich® and Nathan's Famous®, among many others. For more information, visit www.smithfieldfoods.com, and connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.
Smithfield is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected veterans status or status as a disabled individual or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.