Actuarial Analyst [Remote] - #604032
Date: 11/25/2021 20:30 PM
City: Morristown, Tennessee
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
We make good things happen by recognizing and rewarding people for taking the high road. How? By reinventing insurance that celebrates people's mindful choices.
Insurance was fundamentally a brilliant idea, but it always had a key challenge — it couldn't identify and acknowledge the positive decisions that individuals made along the way. But when we apply smart mobile technologies, we can. And that's what we do. We help our customers save on their monthly bill. But more importantly, they join a growing movement of people who dare to live more mindfully because doing so is simply better for everyone.
We're a well-funded, talent dense team of people who care about using our skills to do good. From data science, to design, engineering, insurance, product, research, user experience and beyond — we believe in people who believe they can make the world even better. Join us, and let's build the higher path that is HiRoad.
BlueOwl is looking for an experienced Actuarial Pricing Analyst to join our pricing group. As a pricing analyst, you will be partnering closely with the data science and actuarial team to fine tune and innovate our existing models to better match price to risks. You will be collaborating with the Director of Pricing to set pricing strategy and develop rating templates.
We are looking for someone who is excited by the prospect of doing the impossible and scaling a new insurance model at extraordinary speed. The right candidate will have an understanding of the insurance pricing principles, expertise in python programming language and be able to think differently to create value and capitalize on unrealized opportunities in the market. This is an unique opportunity to help launch pricing models for a brand that is likely to quickly gain a lot of national and global attention.
- You are self motivated and persistent to seek answers in a fast-paced startup environment
- You have expertise in insurance pricing, data manipulation, and data analytics
- You are motivated to automate manual processes and develop tools for efficiency gains
- You are comfortable reaching out and managing relationships with other stakeholders, business partners and regulators.
- You have excellent written and oral communication skills, including understanding stakeholder needs and communicating effectively to your audience.
- You are detail oriented.
- Leverage Python programming language to automate existing pricing and filing solutions, as well as support development of new pricing tools and processes.
- Analyze ratemaking and customer data to provide rating insights and make recommendations on rates. We have access to insurance data for a large portion of US drivers for modeling and analytics purposes.
- Work with multiple stakeholders to gather rate and rule requirements that are needed to support launching our product into a new state market.
- Collaborate with the Pricing team to review the pricing and telematics models, design templates for product coverage offering and rate structures, and develop tools for rating examples.
- Review filing requirements and prepare filings for regulatory authorities; this includes actuarial memo, indication, and modeling related supporting exhibits.
Skills & Background:
- BS/BA in Math, Statistics, Economics or similar
- Experience in ratemaking and rate filing
- 2+ Actuarial exams preferred
- Proficient in Python (pandas, numpy and matplotlib), SQL and Excel
- Good understanding of relational databases and developing tabular form datasets
- You have solid P&C experience and have had experience automating existing solutions
- Ability to apply analytical and statistical concepts to interpret GLM output
- Salary: We pay competitive salaries factoring in experience, skill set, and location. We do not offer equity.
- We provide a wide-selection of health and welfare benefits including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, and supplemental income plans. We also offer a 401(k) Plan with a company match.
- Wellness and Time Off: We provide Headspace subscriptions, a wellness allowance, and generous time off including four weeks of PTO in the first year of employment with additional time granted upon hire. New parents may also take eight weeks of fully paid parental leave (plus four weeks for parents who give birth) which may be taken within one year after the birth and/or the adoption of a child.
- Professional learning and growth: We provide a generous allowance each year for professional learning, continuing education, and career development.
- Location: May work from anywhere in the US, but will need to be actively available during core meeting hours from 9:00AM - 3:00PM pacific time to collaborate with team members across all time zones.
- Some travel may be required after the San Francisco office re-opens.
- Candidates based in the SF Bay Area will be able to commute to the SF office for in-person meetings and other gatherings. Frequency TBD.
This role is employed by BlueOwl, LLC. BlueOwl, LLC is a separate company in the State Farm family of companies and is the solutions provider for the HiRoad Assurance Company.