Director of Platform Engineering - #604815
Date: 11/26/2021 02:30 AM
City: Snohomish, Washington
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
Note: We support 100% remote work for applicants who reside in the following states: California, Colorado, Hawaii, Illinois, Oregon, New York, Texas and Washington.
Textio's mission is to build software that creates understanding between people. Our category-defining augmented writing platform has already transformed the way that thousands of companies write and hire, and we’re looking for a thoughtful Director of Platform Engineering with a strong sense of stewardship to guide the team and technical direction for the platform underlying the products our customers love.
The Platform group is responsible for everything from our client-facing APIs through our infrastructure. The group builds and maintains the distributed services that power our realtime user experiences, the data pipelines that fuel those services, and the foundational capabilities and infrastructure that support the broader Engineering team.
At Textio, we believe that when we build together, we build better. As the Director of Platform Engineering, you will partner closely with teams across R&D to evolve our in-market product used by Fortune 100 companies and develop new products that we are bringing to market this year. This is a great opportunity to work across a wide range of products and technologies while building the team to support Textio's vision.
In this role you will:
- Lead a team of Platform engineers and develop the capabilities of that team through hiring, mentoring, and hands-on management
- Work with your team to define an operational rhythm that balances high output with sustainable development. We care about what we build and how we build it. What we do is a marathon, not a sprint
- Guide the technical direction of Textio's architecture for our existing products and new products we are developing
- Balance near-term priorities with longer-term bets, exercising strong judgment about which problems need a just-enough solution and which require deeper investment
- Represent the Platform team across the company, from understanding top-line business priorities and aligning your team's work to them, to managing our largest budget items (e.g. AWS), to ensuring our platform meets the information security requirements of our enterprise customers
- Ensure our service is available 24/7 by defining our livesite operations, prioritizing the right investments to support this goal, and directly contributing to on-call
We would love to hear from you if:
- You have previous experience as an engineering leader in enterprise SaaS, especially in startup environments. You have honed a broad set of management skills, including building teams with a diverse set of backgrounds and growing other managers.
- You have experience building and scaling cloud-based distributed systems and can guide our platform through scale curves and avoid common pitfalls. We will look to you for technical leadership, so hands-on experience with modern, cloud-first architectures is a must
- You thrive in an environment that requires you to wear many hats and operate at multiple altitude levels. In a given day, you might go from reviewing quarterly project plans with the Leadership Team to pairing with an engineer to debug an issue with a deployment to running an interview loop for your team!
- You take a strong sense of ownership in the business and are excited to collaborate with partners across the organization to succeed together
- You have a point of view but are low ego
Textio embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. Textio will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. If you require accommodation please contact Josh Potter at email@example.com or (206) 492-8337 ext. 785.
Working at Textio is outstanding. Learn more about our philosophy, benefits, and team at https://textio.com/careers/. Reach out and share your story with us!