Director of Patron Engagement - #689863
Dayton Performing Arts Alliance
Date: 1 week ago
City: Dayton, Ohio
Salary: $58,000 - $60,000 / year
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
REPORTS TO: VP for Marketing; VP for Development
STATUS: Full-time, exempt
COMPENSATION: $58,000 – $60,000
The Dayton Performing Arts Alliance is a single, integrated organization that encompasses the Dayton Ballet, Dayton Opera, Dayton Philharmonic Orchestra, and a wide range of learning programs for children, youth, and adults. The annual budget is in the range of $7-8 million. Our driving purpose is to inspire as many people as possible to fall in love with the classical performing arts. Ten years after the merger of three historic organizations, we are completing the journey of becoming a single, integrated organization working together toward that shared, driving purpose. We believe that the arts are for everyone, and we strive to put that into practice in everything we do. We believe that in order to serve our community well, we must reflect it well. Inclusion, diversity, equity, and access are central to our journey as an organization, and we seek new colleagues who, whatever their responsibilities, can help us make progress on that journey with commitment and authenticity.
Greater Dayton is a well-kept secret, a robust, thriving, and affluent community characterized by major military, health care, and educational institutions as well as thriving manufacturing, distribution, and technology sectors. The population of young, well-educated professionals in Dayton is growing because of these economic anchors and the myriad small- to medium-sized businesses that are thriving and growing along with them. Dayton ranks fifth in the United States for the economic security of its senior citizens and is home to a surprising number of citizens who have chosen to retire in the area from elsewhere. Dayton also boasts a Chamber of Commerce that ranks among the top 20 in the US, and over the last decade, its downtown has been undergoing a renaissance that includes a large amount of new downtown housing as well as restaurants and a minor-league baseball stadium, all of which has attracted a large number of both young and recently retired downtown residents. The major anchor of downtown is the Schuster Center, home to DPAA as well as a wide variety of national touring productions from Broadway and elsewhere. Dayton’s arts community is a major strength and of higher quality and richness than most communities its size. We believe that a thriving arts community is crucial to the quality of life, and a major priority is educating the business community to see how the arts help attract and retain a high-quality workforce.
The Director of Patron Engagement works with the VP for Development and VP for Marketing to execute programs that retain and delight patrons as they move through their journey from single ticket buyer to multi-ticket buyer to subscriber to first-time or renewing donor. This role is responsible for both subscriber retention strategies and direct mail appeals for donors in the Friends giving society. This position also manages one direct report.
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communication, Arts Management or equivalent combination of education and experience. Master’s Degree is a plus.
- 5-10 years of experience in marketing, communications, or development.
- Demonstrated success at patron engagement, support, and retention.
- Ability to build one-on-one relationships through targeted communication, special events , and networking
- Extensive experience with database management and CRM solutions.
- Proficiency in Tessitura or Raiser’sEdge is a plus.
- Proven success with targeted, direct marketing, or direct mail fundraising
- Proficiency in reporting, analysis, and budgeting.
- Outstanding communication skills—interpersonal, verbal, and written.
- Experience in the Microsoft suite of products is required.
- Familiarity with the performing arts, preferably with experience working in an arts organization.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends throughout the performance season required.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage all phases of the patron journey from single ticket buyer to multi-ticket buyer to subscriber to first-time donor to renewing donor up to $500 level.
- Oversee reporting, data pulls, and segmentation to identify patrons at various stages of the journey.
- Strategize and implement effective messaging and offers for patrons in each phase to move them forward and ensure retention and increased membership giving.
- Oversee the direct communication to each patron and donor and measure results.
Research best practices of other arts organizations that are implementing the long haul model.
- Manage direct mail, collateral, events, and telemarketing campaigns targeting the patron and base to encourage first-time patrons to return and continue through the patron journey from singlet ticket buyer to subscriber to entry-level donor.
- Manage the DPAA annual fund direct mail campaigns
- Oversee all elements (direct mail and telemarketing) of the annual subscription renewal campaign prior to the start of each season.
- Coordinate subscription renewal tables and all renewal communications at performances.
- Work with VP for Development to create compelling and clear first-time and entry-level donor benefits.
- Work with VP for Development to create new fundraising tools such as appeal letters, brochures, presentations, videos, and newsletters – all with an aim of inspiring subscribers to become donors and for donors to increase their giving.
- Oversee the Patron Engagement Coordinator (PEC) in all front-of-house responsibilities.
- Act as the 2nd point of contact for patron questions beyond the Box Office and the PEC.
- Oversee the PEC in creating engaging patron experiences for pre-and post-show events.
- Oversee the PEC in tracking and managing all sponsor benefits such as recognition and complimentary tickets.
- Oversee the PEC in managing tickets for staff, guest artists, and charitable community events.
- Significant evening or weekend functions or performances.
- Standing for extended periods of time. Moving/lifting objects, boxes, and furniture as needed/allowed, not to exceed 20 lbs.
This position description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Nothing in the position description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to the position at any time.
ABOUT THE DAYTON PERFORMING ARTS ALLIANCE (DPAA):
The Dayton Performing Arts Alliance (DPAA) was formed in July 2012 as the result of a groundbreaking and innovative merger between the Dayton Ballet, the Dayton Opera, and the Dayton Philharmonic Orchestra. Today, the DPAA is the largest performing arts organization in the greater Dayton community, with a mission to be the community’s indispensable source for traditional, diverse, and innovative experiences in ballet, opera, and orchestral music.
Dental and Vision Insurance
Paid Time Off
To apply, please submit a letter detailing reasons for interest in this position and addressing the specific qualifications outlined above, along with salary requirements and four professional references by email only to [email protected]
In accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws, the DPAA is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination and equal employment opportunity. All employment decisions will be made without regard to race, color, gender, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, pregnancy, marital status, political affiliation, veteran status, or non-job-related handicap, or any other protected characteristic. This applies to all areas of employment, including but not limited to recruitment, selection, promotion, compensation, and termination.