Load Crew Leader (Night Shift) - #740171
Date: 01/14/2022 11:30 AM
City: Clinton, North Carolina
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
Assists in accomplishing expedient loading of market pigs and improving weights to market under the direction of the Load Crew Supervisor. Must be able to give direction to other Hog Loader technicians
- Assist in moving/ shipping animals and maintaining efficient animal flows which includes loading and unloading stock trailers
- Assist with facility and equipment maintenance
- Assist with maintaining barn and office cleanliness including operating high pressure washing equipment, basic housekeeping, and laundry duties
- Perform any other tasks necessary for the care of finishing pigs in a confinement facility.
- Follow the Finishing Standard Operating Procedures
- Perform general animal husbandry tasks including basic veterinary procedures.
- Maintain accurate records
- Maintain unit biosecurity. Requires showering in and out of facility. All work clothing is provided
- Responsible for being in compliance with all environmental laws and procedures to which Smithfield subscribes
- Report all environmental issues immediately to their supervisor
- Read and understand the company’s emergency notification process and will be responsible for reviewing that policy at their work site
- Follow Smithfield animal welfare policies and procedures including: providing a physical environment that meets the animals needs, providing access to adequate water and high quality feed, providing humane treatment of the animals, providing identification and appropriate treatment of animals in need of health care and following the guidelines for euthanasia as written in the Euthanasia Action Plan found in the NPB publication, “On Farm Euthanasia of Swine – Options for the Producer”
- Train new employees following the step program and assure proper animal husbandry skills are being utilized by all technicians
- Maintain KPI’s
- Responsible for understanding all safety requirements of the job and for performing the job in compliance with the safety requirements
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Minimum High School Education preferred
- Minimum 6 months experience in swine production preferred
- Ability to do hard physical labor
- Must have the ability to see color
- Math and accurate record keeping skills
- Basic English preferred
- Willingness to work as a team member
- Ability to follow instructions
- Must have good organizational skills
- Possess leadership skills
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
Work Environment & Physical Demands:
The work environment characteristics & physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to climb over, under, and around penning
- Must be able to continually lift up to 50 lbs.
- Must be able to push, pull, drag up to 250 lbs. and work in situations involving a leaned-over or low to the ground situation
- Must be able to work an average 45-hour week with an average 9-hour workday, which can vary frequently
- Must be able to work night shift or day shift (alternates throughout year)
- Rotating days off which requires weekend and holiday work
- Must be able to tolerate and willing to learn and perform the following tasks: euthanasia, castration, vaccinations, piglet processing, cesarean sections, boar detusking, ear tagging and tattooing for identification, taking blood samples and other procedures normal to animal husbandry
- Must be able to work with a wide range of antibiotics (i.e. penicillin)
- Must be able to tolerate blood, animal dander, manure, dust, odors, and frequently hot and noisy conditions
Careers and Benefits:
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits.
More than 63,000 employees globally drive our success. We strive to create a fair, ethical and rewarding work environment.
GROWTH & DEVELOPMENT
Working at Smithfield isn't just a job – it's the foundation for a lifelong career with training designed to help you advance professionally.
Our people matter. That's why we offer excellent, comprehensive benefits packages to our full-time employees.
Sustainability is ingrained in our culture and guides how we operate. We believe in innovating for the future.
About Smithfield Foods:
Headquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, Smithfield Foods, Inc. is an American food company with agricultural roots and a global reach. Our 43,000 U.S. team members and 16,000 European employees are dedicated to producing “Good food. Responsibly.®” and have made us one of the world’s leading vertically integrated protein companies. We have pioneered sustainability standards for more than two decades, including our industry-leading commitments to become carbon negative in U.S. company-owned operations and reduce GHG emissions 30 percent across our entire U.S. value chain by 2030. We believe in the power of protein to end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of millions of food servings to our neighbors in need. Smithfield boasts a portfolio of high-quality iconic brands, such as Smithfield®, Eckrich® and Nathan’s Famous®, among many others. For more information, visit www.smithfieldfoods.com, and connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram
Smithfield is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected veterans status or status as a disabled individual or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.