Academic Advisor - #740300
University Systems of Georgia
Date: 01/14/2022 15:30 PM
City: Clayton, Georgia
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
Located 15 miles southeast of downtown Atlanta, Clayton State University offers employees a diverse environment which fosters both professional and personal development. The university is committed to cultivating an environment of engaged, experienced-based learning, enriched by active community service. Clayton State offers multiple Bachelor and Master Degree programs which currently enrolls over 6,900 students in challenging campus and on-line courses.
The campus is situated just 20 minutes from downtown Atlanta on 214 beautiful acres, making access to the metropolitan area a breeze. We’ve been named a Top Workplace in Atlanta by the Atlanta-Journal Constitution for six consecutive years. And we also were named one of 79 higher education institutions across the nation in The Chronicle of Higher Education’s list of 2017 Great Colleges to Work For.
This position will be responsible for executing an academic advisement strategy that supports retention, progression, and graduation of students across several degree programs in Clayton State University’s Center for Advising and Retention.
- Monitors, advises, and tracks the retention, progression and graduation of all students within assigned population.
- Execute, and evaluate SSC campaigns in collaboration with the Assistant Director
- Provides fundamental level support while advising on academic, career, and life goals
- Make resolution recommendations on academic advising matters to Assistant Director
- Advise students regarding academic programs, curricula, and course selections.
- Maintains students’ files updated throughout their academic careers and makes changes to records as necessary.
- Disseminates information on university policies and procedures to faculty, parents, students, etc.
- Provides assistance and advisement to students in the areas of program admission requirements, registration, probation, academic suspension, and other academic policies and procedures.
- Conducts orientation sessions for groups of incoming students. Audits student records for curriculum, major, graduation requirements.
- Follows up in advising students who have obtained failing mid term and final grades
- Evaluates and determines transfer credits; researches course descriptions to determine transferability.
- Compares transcripts with entrance and graduation requirements, and advises students on appropriate actions.
- Refers students with academic discrepancies to proper officials for further action.
- Assists in the preparation of special reports relating to enrollment and related matters.
- Evaluates and maintains student records for degree requirements using academic evaluation system. Monitors student registration activities and academic performance/progress.
- Coordinates communications to students regarding course scheduling, core and major requirements, academic resources etc., etc.
- Bachelor's Degree
- One to three years of related experience or an equivalent of education and experience.
Conditions of Employment
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of a background investigation including a criminal background check demonstrating your eligibility for employment with Clayton State University, as determined by Clayton State University in its sole discretion, confirmation of the credentials and employment history reflected in your application materials and, if applicable, a satisfactory credit check. Applicants may be subject to a pre-employment drug test.
Offers are made expressly subject to the applicable federal and state laws, to the statutes, rules and regulations of this institution and to the Bylaws and Policies of the Board of Regents (BOR) of the University System of Georgia (USG), which are available for your inspection upon request.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Clayton State University is an equal employment, equal access, and equal educational opportunity and affirmative action institution. It is the policy of the University to recruit, hire, train, promote and educate persons without regard to race, color, national or ethnical origin, age, disability, gender, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or veteran status as required by applicable state and federal laws (including Title VI, Title VII, Title IX, Sections 503, and 504, AREA, ADA, E.O. 11246, and Rev. Proc. 75-50). Clayton State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Institution. For questions or more detailed information regarding this policy please contact the Clayton State University Office of Human Resources at (678) 466-4230. Individuals requiring disability related accommodations for participation in any event or to obtain print materials in an alternative format, please contact the Disability Resource Center at: (678) 466-5445.
- This is not a supervisory position.
- This position does not have any financial responsibilities.
- This position will be required to drive.
- This role is considered a position of trust.
- This position does not require a purchasing card (P-Card).
- This position may travel 1% - 24% of the time
- This position does not require security clearance.