Student Success Counselor - #740306
University of Tennessee
Date: 01/14/2022 15:30 PM
City: Martin, Tennessee
Salary: $35,568 / year
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
The Student Success Center (SSC) at the University of Tennessee at Martin is accepting applications for a Student Success Counselor. The Student Success Center is housed within Enrollment Services & Student Engagement (ESSE) and provides resources and assistance that support academic success of first-year students. The Student Success Center is a high-impact, high-energy, forward-thinking department that is central to the engagement, retention, and progression of UTM’s students. This position will require frequent interaction with current and potential students and families, colleagues within ESSE, and faculty/staff from across UTM’s campus. This position reports to the Director of Retention.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Be a Success Counselor for a caseload of ~300 first-year students, to include:
o Meet with each student 2 times per semester,
o Work with the student to overcome any obstacles to success (homesickness, housing questions, financial aid, getting connected on campus, etc.),
o Discuss with the student academic progress (not academic advising),
o Direct the student to appropriate resources such as tutoring, supplemental instruction, career counseling, student health and counseling, etc.,
o Maintaining data on each student through electronic documentation.
- Engage in Proactive (intrusive) advising (calling, texting, emailing, visiting).
- Attend orientation sessions, Preview Days, and other events where SSC is participating.
- Meet with the SSC staff to evaluate and report on student concerns and engage in a continuous process of improvement.
- Maintain data on the student caseload.
- Engage in professional development.
- If needed teach a success strategies (study skills) class.
- Serve on committees, work on special projects, and undertake special assignments promoting the SSC, ESSE, and UT Martin.
- Other duties as assigned
The successful candidate should have experience with and passion for personally investing in the success of college students, and the expectation of contributing to our team immediately. The successful candidate should possess a sense of humor and a sincere desire to serve our students, UT Martin, and the surrounding community. The successful candidate should demonstrate flexibility and energy, and be able to think quickly on his/her feet.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Education, Higher Education, or related field, (or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience),
- 2 years of experience in student advising and/or working with post-secondary studentsor an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience. Advanced degree preferred.
- Strong listening, written, and oral communication skills,
- Elevated sense of personal initiative and accountability;
- A record of excellent interpersonal and relationship-building skills that allow for frequent and comfortable conversations with students, families, administrators, staff, and faculty.
- Master’s degree (strongly preferred) in Higher Education, Counseling, Education, or related field,
- Experience with student record keeping and/or database management;
- Record of professional development.
Application Process: Qualified applicants must apply online and attach a cover letter and resume
Application Deadline: Applicant review will begin immediately and continue until a suitable candidate has been selected
Minimum annual salary $35,568.00 (Market Range 07) - Salary commensurate with education and experience
To view Annual Security & Fire Report - http://www.utm.edu/departments/publicsafety/index.php