Packaging Machine Operator - #740478
Frito-Lay North America
Date: 01/14/2022 18:30 PM
City: Beloit, Wisconsin
Salary: $2,555 / hour
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
The Packaging Machine Operator is responsible for setting up and operating assigned packaging machines and statistical scales to pack the optimum number of quality packages of product. A key component of PepsiCo's success, Frito-Lay has been making the very best snacks for over 80 years. Classic Lay's(r), Cheetos(r), and Doritos(r) are just a few of the products that you would help us produce in one of our manufacturing facilities. Although you will start out working for Frito-Lay, this job can open the door to career opportunities with our parent company, PepsiCo
As a Full-Time team member, you would work between 40 and 50 hours per week and overtime may be required. We set industry standards in terms of pay and benefits. We also offer unbeatable benefits including health insurance, dental and vision, retirement savings benefits including 401(k) with company contribution, vacation days and much more
As a Packaging Machine Operator, you can expect to be working on your feet the entirety of your shift near heavy machinery in a loud manufacturing environment. Frito-Lay manufacturing facilities are also large. While we want everyone to feel comfortable, our ability to control the temperature is limited. Indoor warehouse working conditions are impacted by seasons and the weather
After training (a process that can last 8 to 16 weeks), here is a list of the more frequent tasks you could expect to perform:
- You will set-up and operate multiple packaging machines to ensure accurate code dates, weights, and that products are put into appropriate bags.
- You will check that products are dated and sealed with a minimum amount of wasted product and supplies.
- You will also be responsible for ensuring that products to be packed remain clean.
- You will maintain a clean and safe work area. Safety is everyone's job.
- You will perform basic preventative maintenance on packaging machines such as cleaning or switching out knives and blades, pull-belts, tape machines, or rollers, depending on the need.
- You will wear protective gear when using chemicals to clean and sanitize lines during changeovers from one product to another.
- You will inspect conveyors and scales prior to line start-ups & changeovers.
- You will troubleshoot commonplace problems and make operational adjustments.
Packaging Machine Operators work with every product that Frito-Lay produces, which means you should consider the potential allergens we work with: dairy, wheat, soy, garlic, salt, and particular oils (e.g. sunflower). You should also keep in mind that we make popular spicy snacks, like Flamin' Hot Cheetos(r).
Please take a moment to ensure that you meet the minimum requirements for this position:
- You are at least 18 years of age or older
- You will be required to work on weekends, holidays as well as off shift
- You are mechanically inclined and can think that way. Having at least 1 year of machine operator experience in a high-speed manufacturing environment would be a good indicator to our hiring team.
- It's a physical job: you are able to lift 50 lbs from floor to waist (e.g. a twin-size mattress) with or without a reasonable accommodation
- You have basic math skills and can read and write in English
- You are able to stand and walk for extended periods of time with or without a reasonable accommodation
- You are able to climb, bend, reach, stoop, kneel, and stretch for extended periods with or without a reasonable accommodation
- You are able to repeatedly lift, carry, push, pull, and handle products with or without a reasonable accommodation
- You are willing and able to work at heights using ladders or lifts to access areas of the plant
People often ask what kind of characteristics will make them successful in this position. Do you think you have what it takes to perform at our level? Here is an idea of what our managers are looking for:
- Good Communicator: you will be interacting with various co-workers, from junior employees to leadership.
- Problem Solving: our business depends on us keeping packaging machines operating. You tackle commonplace mechanical issues with machinery and quickly come up with a "plan B" when needed, such as during a changeover or starting a new line.
- Efficient: you prioritize tasks while multitasking. For example, you might be changing film on one line as a second line breaks down; meanwhile, a packer is shutting off a line which will require your attention; it is at this point when a manager approaches you and asks how things are going.
- Leadership: we trust you to help make sure that everything is going smoothly. You will coach packers and processing operators by providing courteous support and feedback.
- Tech Savvy: Frito-Lay is an industry leader when it comes to smart automated technology and tracking production and inventory. Having a comfort level learning new technology will help you thrive in our performance based culture.
- High Integrity: mistakes can lead to food safety and regulatory issues which is why all Frito-Lay employees are forthcoming and transparent about mistakes.
Does this sound like you? Join nearly 55,000 other Frito-Lay associates across the country that work hard to bring you the snacks you love and submit your application today.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status
PepsiCo is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Female / Minority / Disability / Protected Veteran / Sexual Orientation / Gender Identity
Our Company will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Fair Credit Reporting Act, and all other applicable laws, including but not limited to, San Francisco Police Code Sections 4901 - 4919, commonly referred to as the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance; and Chapter XVII, Article 9 of the Los Angeles Municipal Code, commonly referred to as the Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance
If you'd like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please download the available EEO is the Law & EEO is the Law Supplement documents. View PepsiCo EEO Policy
Please view our Pay Transparency Statement.