Patent Agent (Chemistry) - #740517
Date: 01/14/2022 19:00 PM
City: Alameda, California
Contract type: Full Time
Work schedule: Full Day
Every Exelixis employee is united in an ambitious cause: to launch innovative medicines that give patients and their families hope for the future. In this pursuit, we know our employees are our most valuable asset. After operating in the challenging biotech sector for 25 years, we have a proven track record of resiliency in the face of adversity. The success of our lead product has provided a solid commercial foundation allowing us to reinvigorate our research efforts, and grow our team in areas such as Drug Discovery, Clinical Development and Commercial.
As we expand our global partnerships and further reinvest in R&D to help us discover the next breakthrough for difficult-to-treat cancers, we’re seeking to add talented, dedicated employees to power our mission.
Cancer is our cause. Make it yours, too.
Exelixis is seeking a Patent Agent to join the Legal Department’s IP team, reporting to the Senior Director & Counsel, Patents. You will be an integral member of the Legal Department and will have the opportunity to operate independently in a dynamic environment to support the growing patents needs of Exelixis. You will work collaboratively with various teams across the organization, providing advice and service on patent/intellectual property matters to discovery, research and development, business development, and other client groups, as well as working directly with outside counsel in these areas. J.D. for attorney applicant and membership in good standing of a state bar, preferably California will be considered for Patent Counsel position.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Collaborates with other members of the IP team to develop global intellectual property strategy.
• Identifies inventions, prepares, drafts and prosecutes patent applications and works with scientists to obtain necessary information and data.
• Coordinates with outside intellectual property counsel on preparation and prosecution of patent applications related to the company’s patent portfolio.
• Conducts freedom to operate, patentability and invalidity searches and analysis and provides guidance to internal teams.
• Provides IP support to a broad range of functional groups including research and development, corporate development, commercial, legal department and external collaborations.
• May assist in drafting or reviewing intellectual property provisions of technology licenses, collaboration agreements, and other corporate legal documents.
• May provide IP diligence support for business development opportunities, including licensing and M&A transactions as needed
• Keeps abreast of developments in and changes to patent laws and other intellectual property laws.
• Exercises independent judgment over assigned IP matters, completes such tasks with minimum supervision.
• Complies with all company health & safety policies and procedures.
• Must be admitted in good standing to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark office.
• Advanced degree required: Masters in chemistry, or related scientific discipline with a minimum of six years related experience, or;
• PhD in chemistry, or related scientific discipline with 3-5 years related experience
• J.D. for attorney applicant and membership in good standing of a state bar, preferably California is a plus
• Typically requires three to five years of experience in biotech/pharmaceutical industry and/or law firm as a patent attorney or patent agent, additional scientific research experience in academia or industry a plus.
• Identifies and implements methods and procedures to achieve results.
• Performs a variety of complicated tasks with a wide degree of creativity and latitude.
• Has complete understanding and wide application of technical principles, theories, concepts and techniques.
• Applies strong analytical and business communication skills, including ability to integrate legal and business knowledge and to provide balanced advice.
• Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously in a fast-paced environment.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• Works on complex problems where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of various factors.
• Exercises judgment within broadly defined practices and policies in selecting methods, techniques and evaluation of criteria for obtaining results.
• Uses professional concepts and company policies and procedures to solve a wide range of complex difficult problems in imaginative and practical ways.
• Networks with key contacts outside own area of expertise.
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.